Seven Months in & I Have Some Questions

What should I add to dose Alk & Ca?

  • 2 Part and dosing pumps?

    Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Kalk to my ATO

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Some other thing I am too much of a noob to know about

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    10
I have been doing 50% changes from the beginning for a couple of reasons, 1. Because I can. And 2 because my nitrates have never been below 25 before a water change.
Mini cycles don't make sense to me as I am just removing water and not filtration?
So I should be removing nitrates and replacing them with water that doesn't have nitrates.
I have listed my feeding schedule in the OP.

All of the inhabitants look happy, loving those fluffy acans!

I would just keep doing water changes as you have. I know the tangs produce lots of waste especially if you are fattening the yellow tang up to help his HLLE. My 95g is sitting at 10-20 ppm for nitrates constantly since I've started to feed him more. I'm currently doing 5% daily WC to slowly bring that down (will probably take 2 weeks assuming I can take out more nitrates than the amount produced on a daily basis). Also because I am not dosing and am just keeping the alkalinity up (probably not the ideal way to supplement this) but I do what I want ;Joyful:p.
 
I have been doing 50% changes from the beginning for a couple of reasons, 1. Because I can. And 2 because my nitrates have never been below 25 before a water change.
Mini cycles don't make sense to me as I am just removing water and not filtration?
So I should be removing nitrates and replacing them with water that doesn't have nitrates.
I have listed my feeding schedule in the OP.
1. You can do a lot do things, why. It just do 100 % then? What’s wrong with that, wouldn’t that be better?

2. cycles have nothing to do with filtration. You remove beneficial bacteria as well when you take water out, not just the bad. That’s why you will induce cycles with too large of water changes.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top