Share your NOOB experience and WIN a TUNZE Reefpack 250!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heater cracked in new water tote and after removing old water/adding new quickly realized something was wrong. Rust dripping out of the heater in the tote afterwards was an early indicator.

Plenty of other "good" stories and looking back at the past 7 years, not sure why I'm still in the hobby:violin:
 
I purchased an rodi unit and saved myself $20 not buying a float switch only to flood my basement the very first time using it lol. How easy u forget
 
Wanting my first reef tank many years ago, my old LFS set me up with a brand new system with "Everything I absolutly needed!" So, my first reef aquarium wanting SPS/LPS mind you, consisted of a 75g tank w/ stand, top of the line PC light with lunar lights, 2 900gph power heads, and a $300 UV Sterilizer. And yes, That was it... Apparently all the equipment needed to start a reef tank was right here!

Needless to say, It didn't work out so well.

I finally found the internet and now I can't help but laugh.
 
i've been in the aquarium hobby since i was about 12. And the one thing i will always remeber was my first venture into this hobby.

It all started with a comic book. i bought my comic at the local comic shop and always looked it over with glee before i purchased it. Once i got the comic home , once again I would look it over a few more times. For a few months now I had been looking at the same advertisement in the back, no not the X-ray glasses. What caught my eye was the advertisement for a pair of "JUMBO" Seahorses. I was enthralled in this ad, and saw myself having a take full of these jumbo seahorses. It didn't help that Aquaman always rode around on a giant size seahorse either. here i was faced with the dilema of saving my pennies or buying next months comic. with a strange determination i headed for the library and read all i could on seahorses, which at that time was two thin pamphlet size books which i had to read at the libraray because they were too fragile to loan out. I was there every other day reading the same two books.

The day finally came when I placed my order for two "jumbo" seahorses. Off i went to the mail box to mail my order. As i awaited the arrival of my seahorses, I setup a 20 gallon aquarium with all the things recommended in the books i had read. With the setup ready, I waited everyday for my package to arrive. Finally, almost 6 weeks later, my package arrived. I could not contain my excitement when the mail man called on the intercom to let me know we had a package. i quickly ran down the stairs in leaps and bounds until i reached the mailman waiting in the vestibule. There he was waiting for someone to come down, as he gave me the package he said," Florida would be a nice place to be right now". In all my excitement I had forgotten the snow fall we had been having for the second day in a row. He gave me the package and I quickly ran upstairs and sat in front of my tank setup. As I sat there contemplating opening the box, I realized what i had in front of me. Here was a small 5" x 5" box with a pair of "jumbo" seahorses in it waiting to be opened.
I remember thinking," Wait a minute how is the seahorse aquaman rides on going to fit in this box" ?? I opened the box, Inside was a bag of water smaller than the box. As i looked inside the bag for my jumbo seahorses, I found nothing but water. I kept looking. Inside the bag was a tiny blob in the corner. Could this be my order ? I took the bag and placed the bag in the tank to float. Once I was satisfied that the temperature in the bag was the same, I quikly dumped all the contents into the aquarium. There in all its glory was my order......... Inside my tank, as it dropped from the bag was what i would later learn, a pygmy seahorse. but not just one seahorse, what I had been sent was a pregnant pygmy seahorse. I was amazed, It didn't matter that this was barely 2" in size. what mattered was that I had one.
In the days that followed, the seahorse gave birth and my siblings and I where able to witness this occurence thanks to the snow,which had kept us home from school.

This was my Noob experience, great memory. BTW that seahorse lived for about 4 months.
 
Started with a small 30gal, first mistake the tank was tooooo small for what I wanted. 2nd mistake was going to a 46bf (still too small) and I put it at the fire station. The bug guys came out and sprayed and killed everything eccept a Damsel. 3rd mistake I'm fixin to make... In the process of upgrading to a 75gal. I need to go bigger but the wife wont let me. Moral of the story is; GO BIG the first time and save alot of heartache having to upgrade.........And don't anyone within 100 yrds of your tank with bug spray!!!!!!!!!
 
I started my first saltwater aquarium about 3 years ago, I had always wanted one but the cost was just to much especially in South Texas where everything is like 3x the price.
I had been keeping freshwater tropicals for years while in texas and moved 7 tanks and all of there inhabitants with me.

Then I moved to San Diego and found myself right in the middle of a very large contingency of reefers. I found a local website and started reading all the info that I could find.
After making some friends and lurking for a few months I decided to set up a small 20-30g reef tank. Basically just wanted to keep a pair of clowns and some small stuff, I was
quickly told that it would be alot easier to keep my water parameters stable by setting up a bigger tank. I had a 55g but was told that wasn't a good footprint for a reef tank.
After some searching I found a 60g tank that seemed to be perfect. The person selling the tank needed to empty and clean the tank before I could get it, so I started buying
the equipment that I was going to need to set it up. After buying almost all the equipment I need the deal fell thru and the tank was no longer available, however a friend hooked
me up with a 90g tanks at a very good price. This was great because I had already spent a pretty good amount on equipment for the 60g. I started selling and trading the 60g
equipment for the right equipment for the 90g. Within a few weeks I had all the required equipment for the 90g ans started setting it up.

So I started out wanting a 20-30g tank and before actually setting up a system my mind had been chage to a 55g, then a 60g and then to finally a 90g.
 
I think Finding Nemo was the Best and Worst movie for my saltwater hobby. It started my love for this hobby but also my biggest mess ups. Watched the movie with my kids they wanted a little piece of ocean so being the good father i am went to a lfs bought a tank and i think most of the cast of the movie needless to say none survived the 12g biocube. But then i did alot of research and been in love with the hobby since that desaster.
 
I set up my 40 gallon bowfront, and was told to purchase a seaclone 150 protein skimmer, "There The Best" well lets just say after many hours and days slowly turning the air knob by a centimeter a day I gave up! A tank full of coral and beautiful fish and nothing, nodda, the only thing it skimmened was a poor pipe fish that got sucked up the 1200Pump. If you see a great deal on a Sea-Clone RUN!!! in the opposite direction! Key Here: Skimmer is the key to your reef - Buy a AQUA C - you cant beat the service and product for the money!
 
i bought a 72 gal bow for 300.00 of of some guy with a t8 light and put 40 lbs live rock and added water about 3 weeks later added 2 clowns then a rainbow wrasse then a diamond goby then fire fish the two condy anem. everything was looking good i bought 2 aqua top filters had both running and then one day came home everything was dead i had about 200.00 into the fush i had ( had more than i listed just cant remember what ones i had) I then decided to sell that tank and bought a 40 gal half hex and got crazy added rock water and let sit for a few weeks had a sump added then addded live stock. then decided that wasnt enough for me and started on my reef journey. bought a t5 ho light added softies I.E. mushrooms and zoas i then realized it still wasnt enough and i added spme sps and they didnt last so i bout a Maxspect R420R and $500.00 dollars more later.. still wasnt enough. I now have a 90 gal tank ($200.00) with 20 gal sump ($60.00) skimmer phosban reactor DIY ato and uv added more corals and still not enough now on my journey to add new things and make my tank a new world in my living room.
 
When i first started in the hobby i used to top off with salt water ,also doesed alk and instead of 40 ml i added 400 ml oops for a few days till i figured out what i did wrong
 
Super newb thing i did. when i was moving my tank from my house to my new one i had all my live stock in buckets and i set everything up in the tank filter heater lights. some reason i plugged the lights and heater in and started filling the tank with 5g buckets. Well as your guessing soon as the water splashed on the very hot dry heat it exploded and started shooting sparks ALL over. At fist i thought the tank cracked then saw the sparks. Stupid me lol. im lucky the live stock where safe in the other buckets.
 
My noob experience is when i added too much biopellets at one time and my tank was all milky....not fun that day....
 
In light of recient events...let me update mine.

I purchased online some live sand and some rubble rock fron the same online seller. I put a note that I was going to use the sand and rubble to seed my tank so anything would be helpful, hoping for a chunk of something with coraline on it. Well when the package came they hooked meup big time. Some good rubble, more sand then I had ordered, and a nice size rock with some good growth on it. I was stoaked, and dropped it all in my tank.

Within 10 days the growth on the rock turned to what my wife described as moldy...greenish with white spots on it. That is when we saw that these still unknown things had started to grow all over the walls of the tank (see my thread) and within 48 hours all of my fish were dead. Lesson learned, when buying online quarentine even the rock and sand.....even when you buy from a r2r sponsor
 
We just set up our first reef tank a few weeks ago, so we are very much noobs! No major catastrophes yet, and hopefully never, but we'll see! Fingers crossed!

-m4rk


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Hmm noob thing I did? Like telling everyone on R2R I never sold anything on here on a sale thread?? JK

The first thing that comes to mind… I bought an acrylic tank and wanted to convert it to a reef ready. I bought a hole saw to put on my drill and didn’t know you had to put a drill bit on it to stabilize it. I put my foot on the tank to hold it still put the saw bit on and let it rip! The hole saw bounced all over the place, bounced off my shoe and proceeded to wrap around my pant leg and shred them. As it twisted my shredded jeans around itself they wrapped around the trigger keeping it on. It twisted higher and higher toward my groin! All of this happened in second. It took all my arm strength to keep it from shredding my leg open. My roommate saw this and quickly unplugged the drill. So that was an insanely noob move and hope nobody else ever goes through it. I documented this story on a build thread on the local site a couple of years ago if you want it for reference that I didn’t make this up.

Proof I am the ultimate noob, IMO anyway.


Here's a pic of what it looked like when I was done.

003-2.jpg
 
When I started out maybe around 14years old I added salt to my tank thinking that this is all its easy... Bought a domino damsel $5. It didn't last very long. I guess I should of use synthetic salt and not table salt. Should of asked questions. Learned my lesson real quick. Good thing it was only $5 and 1 fish. Poor fish.
 
I recently bought a 45 softie tank that had been set up for years. We prepped for the tank hard core -researched the fish in there, did a TON of reading, learned about equpment, got the tank water tested before we even brought the tank home. We successfully moved everything (one hermit crab got smooshed) - tank looks great! But the skimmer is acting funny. Very wet skimmate or none at all. I get a new pump, thinking something is wrong with it, and that pump is too powerful, so water is shooting up out of the skimmer. I decide to clean all the pumps and powerheads in vinegar. This helped, but something was still not right....and at this point, I'm soooo frustrated, its not even funny. Thanks to someone on here, I realized the rubber band that holds the collection cup for the skimmer was gone. The cup was sitting too low in the skimmer! All that turmoil over a rubber band! All is well now, though :) Thanks to folks on here who helped me figure out my very easy fix (but nooooob) problem.
 
So a month ago as I'm reading and researching about corals. I come across the term wysiwyg. I pondered to myself what type of weird special corals are these. Eventually I googled it and felt like a fool for the day! Still a noob.

Joe
 
My wife's first tank failed because she did a water change with fresh water then dumped salt straight in to the tank.... FAIL -> Everything got killed. I remember when we first met the tank was still in her living room with nothing in it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top