Shipped fish came in nearly dead, Will it survive????

jjrambo124

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2023
Messages
26
Reaction score
7
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I recently purchased a Melanarus wrasse that arrived yesterday. Upon opening the bag I noticed the fish floating upside down. I thought it was dead, but then I noticed it breathing and swimming, however very unbalanced. It seemed like it was a swimbladder issue and on the verge of death.

I acclimated him and put him in the tank, thinking he would just float away, and die soon. Instead he swam nearly perfectly around then towards the bottom, then buried itself.
I was worried he died overnight, so I sifted through the sand the next day and found him. At first I thought he died, yet he swam perfectly away then buried himself again.

Is all this normal or should I be concerned that he will die soon? Has anyone gotten a fish shipped and acted like this? The fact that he is swimming perfectly means his swim bladder is fine, right??? He has not left the sand, Will he ever??

Thank you all for your help. He is absolutely beautiful I'm praying he lives. We are now over 24 hours in...
 
Let him hide, shipping is very stressful. Did you contact the vendor to let them know and get their advice?
 
Let him hide, shipping is very stressful. Did you contact the vendor to let them know and get their advice?
Ok, will do.
Yes I contacted the vendor but they just asked how long he was in the bag for before acclimation.

I just don't understand how he can go from upside down swimming to completely balanced and burrowing.
 
Ok, will do.
Yes I contacted the vendor but they just asked how long he was in the bag for before acclimation.

I just don't understand how he can go from upside down swimming to completely balanced and burrowing.
All my wrasse baggedcat lfs, or shipped played dead in bag.

Offer meaty foods and help them relax. If they're healthy, they'll pick on food that floats by. If not eating in 48 hours. I'd raise concerns.
 
All my wrasse baggedcat lfs, or shipped played dead in bag.

Offer meaty foods and help them relax. If they're healthy, they'll pick on food that floats by. If not eating in 48 hours. I'd raise concerns.
Ok thats good to know thank you.

As of now he just buries himself and has barely moved from this one spot.
 
My two spot wrasse came in looking completely healthy, swimming and acting fine during acclimation. When I put him in the tank he hid…and did not come out for several days

I post this to let you know that even with healthy wrasses it’s normal for them to hide a few days at first. Just don’t bother them and they will come out when ready and hungry
 
Ok, will do.
Yes I contacted the vendor but they just asked how long he was in the bag for before acclimation.

I just don't understand how he can go from upside down swimming to completely balanced and burrowing.
It’s stress. The fish is caught, put in a plastic bag with some water, put in a dark box that the shippers probably bounced around, then you open the box and put him in a different environment. It will take a few days for him to get used to his new life. Take care of him, feed him and he should do well. Good luck!
 
You guys helped so much thank you. I will let him be and will update y'all on how he does.
He is a pretty big fish so I'm much more confident now that he will make it, just hope to see him a little so I can feed him.
 
You guys helped so much thank you. I will let him be and will update y'all on how he does.
He is a pretty big fish so I'm much more confident now that he will make it, just hope to see him a little so I can feed him.
If you have any issues, just post a question. Lots of people on here are more than willing to help you out!
 
UPDATE: so it’s been nearly a week now. First couple days wrasse was completely buried.
Now, he kinda just swims around for a minute, then lays against a rock. Almost like he’s looking to bury himself but gives up. Haven’t seen him eat but idk whether his progress is good or bad.
 
Good sign that he's moving around. Do you notice other fish in the tank picking on him?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top