Shipping Disaster - Shipped my fish, feel horrible

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
20,450
Reaction score
47,597
Location
Carmel, Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are 4.5" Purple tang, Desjardini Sailfin, and Powder Brown tangs good in the largest bag I could find at a LFS (probably 2/3 the size of the largest bag I've seen live aquaria ship)?

I sold some fish on this forum and was asked if I would ship so I did.

I won't get in too deep in the details, but essentially now what has happened is that USPS has screwed up TWICE. It got hung up here in Indy overnight and wasn't delivered overnight as it was guaranteed to. Now, more than 48 hours later, it is at a sorting facility near it's destination where no one can do anything. The gentlemen that bought them went to the facility and they said he cannot be there and they cannot help him.

I have called USPS "corporate" and was told MANY things. First guy said that it was on it's way to the genetlemen's nearest post office and pawned us off on their number. This post office said no, it is not, or if it is we have no news of this nor do we know anything about it. I asked them what options we had in locating this box so we can save the fish, and she said she is having her manager work on it. So I called "corporate" back again, this time they gave the the case number they opened, and said they are assigning someone on the situation to locate it ASAP. I haven't heard back in hours. No one knows anything at this organization, it appears.

I was also told that they no longer guarantee live animals and medication overnight, and do not ship these items this way. To which, I replied "well that was news to me, who paid $112 dollars to ship (when they told me it would be about $25-$40 on the phone), and when I told them it was live fish and the manager was notified that they were live fish and did a final check before I checked out. What the heck???

It's irritating though, because I have been the one to call and do all of this discovering. Yesterday, when they were delayed and were late, this individual didn't call as they said they did and figure out what to do. The local post office they called knows nothing, of course. When I called mine, I told them the order involved live fish and was guaranteed overnight and is now late and has been hung up TWICE. They immediately told me to call USPS customer service and they opened a case.

I just wish that had been done 24 hours ago or more when we knew it was late. I feel horrible, like I have murdered some of my family. I owned thatpurple tang since she was 1.5" (5 years ago), and the rest about 4 years. I thought this individual was going to take care of this since I had sent them his direction. If I had known this was all going to fall on me, I would have jumped yesterday. I am very frustrated, that is all.

Poor, poor fish. What an awful way to go. Essentially, wouldn't dying in a bag be akin to us drowning slowly?

How long can the fish live in bags (I did 1/3 water to 2/3 air and I put the MAXIMUM amount of air I could have packed), I sent them in live aquaria boxes, with real fish bags from the LFS (the largest they had) and packed them well. No heat packs because they were going to texas and I wanted dissolved oxygen to be maximum (the colder the better if we know the ambient temp isn't likely to be less than 60).
 
Last edited:
Im sorry to hear about your trouble this has happened to me many many many times USPS is the worst they suck sooooo bad. I refuse to use them for anything even shipping equipment i always tell buyers its on them if usps loses the package.

Did you use any O2 in the bags for the fish? is so normaly its good for a couple days. if not im not to sure


I can completely understand how you feel last time this happened to me i called their support sent them nasty messages on facebook and was furious. nothing you can do though it sucks hope usps fixes this
 
Last edited:
sorry i missed the air part with the air this might help if the water is not to dirty i have heard some clownfish being able to be in bags for 3-4 days (i believe it was) from a reputable breeder if that helps any :squigglemouth:

keep us posted on what happens
 
Last edited:
Im sorry to hear about your trouble this has happened to me many many many times USPS is the worst they suck sooooo bad. I refuse to use them for anything even shipping equipment i always tell buyers its on them if usps loses the package.

Did you use any O2 in the bags for the fish? is so normaly its good for a couple days. if not im not to sure


I can completely understand how you feel last time this happened to me i called their support sent them nasty messages on facebook and was furious. nothing you can do though it sucks hope usps fixes this


Yeah, being that it is a public (government) enterprise, it sucks immensely. UPS wanted $200 dollars to ship them, the buyer insisted on USPS and said he gets fish people ship from them all the time without issue. I didn't want to ship, my gut told me not to ship, I should have listened.

And no, I don't have access to pure oxygen in my home. :( I am sure they're gone. It looks like it will be tomorrow when the box arrives, best case scenario.

I don't see any way possible they can survive three days. These guys are MORONS! This box says LIVE FISH, FRAGILE, LIVE FISH everywhere. How that translated in to "SCREW IT WHO CARES THROW IT OVER THERE" I am not sure...

I did get a call from "corporate" just to say she doensn't know anything. The place tracking says it is - it isn't. The post office it should be at - it isn't. The one in-between where it would go, isn't answering calls or e-mails. They "don't deal with express or priority packages in the morning".

Oh, so if you have a live animal, it can just wait another 24 hours without oxygen. No big deal, focus on shipping nonperishables and books
 
Last edited:
Another case of the USPS dropping the ball on overnights. Sorry to hear this 3fordfamily. When it comes to overnight, i wont trust anyone but fedex/usps. They know how to do it, where as the USPS has enough problem with standard mail.
 
Another case of the USPS dropping the ball on overnights. Sorry to hear this 3fordfamily. When it comes to overnight, i wont trust anyone but fedex/usps. They know how to do it, where as the USPS has enough problem with standard mail.

I know it... gosh I feel absolutely HORRIBLE. What a terrible way to die... I am sick to my stomach.

I should have listened to my gut feeling... I have recieved live fish USPS in the past a couple times without issue (overnight) but something about trusting anything Uncle Sam controls remotely with doing anything just seems not sensible. I am kicking myself because I knew.

I've actually had a lot of trouble with fedex and overnights - UPS has always been GREAT when they make a mistake, they get to the bottom of it, move quickly, and get me some options to make it right as quickly and best as possible.

Fedex - not so much. But USPS... I should have paid someone to drive to Texas for $113 dollars - they would have had a better chance and arrived faster..
 
Last edited:
Thats horrible with the labeling and telling the people what was in the box they still mess it up. I hoping for the best for you hopefully the buyer doesn't give you a hard time i can only imagine. if the fish were healthy which it sounds like they were who knows they might be able to pull through it! Best of luck - Keep us posted tomorrow!

Yeah, being that it is a public (government) enterprise, it sucks immensely. UPS wanted $200 dollars to ship them, the buyer insisted on USPS and said he gets fish people ship from them all the time without issue. I didn't want to ship, my gut told me not to ship, I should have listened.

And no, I don't have access to pure oxygen in my home. :( I am sure they're gone. It looks like it will be tomorrow when the box arrives, best case scenario.

I don't see any way possible they can survive three days. These guys are MORONS! This box says LIVE FISH, FRAGILE, LIVE FISH everywhere. How that translated in to "SCREW IT WHO CARES THROW IT OVER THERE" I am not sure...

I did get a call from "corporate" just to say she doensn't know anything. The place tracking says it is - it isn't. The post office it should be at - it isn't. The one in-between where it would go, isn't answering calls or e-mails. They "don't deal with express or priority packages in the morning".

Oh, so if you have a live animal, it can just wait another 24 hours without oxygen. No big deal, focus on shipping nonperishables and books
 
Thats horrible with the labeling and telling the people what was in the box they still mess it up. I hoping for the best for you hopefully the buyer doesn't give you a hard time i can only imagine. if the fish were healthy which it sounds like they were who knows they might be able to pull through it! Best of luck - Keep us posted tomorrow!

They were very, very healthy. Very fat --- part of my concern... lots of pooping... I fed very little the day before I sent them out, though. :shrug:

I hope for the best too, thanks!

Some people are clueless/heartless or both.
 
Well let's hope they will be ok when they get there. I once left a damsel in a bag for 6 days on accident. He survived just fine, so there's hope for your fish. It could have been a zombie damsel or something because I didn't feed it for 8 months before he spent 6 days in that bag.
 
Hate reading posts and experiences like this. Hope this works out for you
 
I hate reading posts like this too.
For what is worth. I HATE USPS. They are horrible. I never use them for anything time sensitive ever.
Ups and FedEx sometimes have problems but they never seem to be as bad mess ups as USPS causes.
 
For what is worth. I HATE USPS. They are horrible. I never use them for anything time sensitive ever.
Ups and FedEx sometimes have problems but they never seem to be as bad mess ups as USPS causes.

^^This. I would only use USPS to ship snails/hermits. Hopefully this experience has an unexpected happy ending.
 
fedex and ups would of been better carrier's
 
At $200-220 it didn't make sense to ship USPS or fedex- But lesson learned I will NEVER ship fish USPS again. Ever.
 
They arrived this morning and USPS screwed up again - they were supposed to hold the fish for pickup to save a couple hours but didn't. They arrived at his house and the purple tang is alive!! He said it is a little weak but doing surprisingly well. Cross your fingers guys... I hope she pulls through.

I told him to add an air stone to wherever she is because of possible gill damage, and she was fat enough that if she doesn't eat for awhile she will be ok.
 
They arrived this morning and USPS screwed up again - they were supposed to hold the fish for pickup to save a couple hours but didn't. They arrived at his house and the purple tang is alive!! He said it is a little weak but doing surprisingly well. Cross your fingers guys... I hope she pulls through.

I told him to add an air stone to wherever she is because of possible gill damage, and she was fat enough that if she doesn't eat for awhile she will be ok.

Glad to hear. If you or the new owner suspect the fish may have been exposed to ammonia, treating with Methylene Blue will help out a lot.
 
They arrived this morning and USPS screwed up again - they were supposed to hold the fish for pickup to save a couple hours but didn't. They arrived at his house and the purple tang is alive!! He said it is a little weak but doing surprisingly well. Cross your fingers guys... I hope she pulls through.

I told him to add an air stone to wherever she is because of possible gill damage, and she was fat enough that if she doesn't eat for awhile she will be ok.

Is the purple tang the only fish out of all those you listed that survived?
 
Thanks humble, and yes Ben but there were three fish total - a beautiful Desjardini Sailfin, a powder brown tang, and the purple.
 
What perplexes me is how can one "company" (GSE) make three big mistakes in ONE overnight shipment. Perhaps more if they truly don't ship live animals anymore.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top