Shockwave 8310 use in attic- bad idea with reef on second floor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tired
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2020
Messages
4,064
Reaction score
4,162
Location
Central Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in a century-old two-story-with-attic house that hasn't had the attic thoroughly cleaned in a long time. We want to have a company come out, and clean up all the animal poo and dust and such. They normally use a product called Shockwave 8310 during cleanups. It's a heavy-duty disinfectant. Does anyone know how dangerous this is to a reef tank? To a brackish-water shrimp tank?

I've attached their info sheets for the stuff. I'm not finding much about it online. Clearly this is dangerous to directly mess with, but how far away is it a problem for invertebrates and fish?
 

Attachments

1635873656699.png


"ShockWave is EPA Registered to kill more organisms than any other product"

I would treat it like any pesticide and would exercise extreme caution handling this inside a home with a tank.

(at your own risk) You can tarp off your tank and enclose it in plastic, I have done this successfully when dealing with bug-spraying the baseboards in the same room with my reef. We were careful to turn off all ventilation, keep misting of the pesticide to a minimum, and leave the tank enclosed in its bubble for a couple hours after the spraying while the room aired out with doors/windows open.
 
Yeah, we're thinking about just not having them spray the stuff. They can vacuum and whatnot without spraying.

Any idea how long afterward this sort of thing has to be avoided? Both tanks are pretty small, so removing them entirely from the house and having them in the yard for a few hours is a possibility. We've got outlets out there to run the pump.

Is there any way for me to try to calculate how much oxygen a 5gal reef needs? I could theoretically seal it off in an airtight tarp bubble, and there's algae and whatnot in there that would produce oxygen, but I don't know how much they can give off.
 
unless you have a reason to chemically sanitize the attic (pest infestation?) then I would skip it. Clean it sure, but I try to only use chemicals like these when absolutely necessary.

A few hours should be enough to allow any vapors to settle out or blow away and I wouldn't think your tank would run out of O2.
 
We have hollow walls because the house was built before insulation, and we know animals have been up there- raccoons, rats. Those can carry some really nasty diseases. It'd be nice to be able to get rid of any potential nastiness.

We might contact the company and ask if they've used this in houses with reef tanks before, and what those people did.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top