Should i air dry my bleach cured rock?

Pretty cool idea
It looks like BRS did some testing. I’ve always had the assumption that in general bleach will oxidize a lot of stuff, but not physically remove it or make it drastically more soluble.

Maybe it makes the organics easier to wash away? I’m gonna be pondering this!
 
It looks like BRS did some testing. I’ve always had the assumption that in general bleach will oxidize a lot of stuff, but not physically remove it or make it drastically more soluble.

Maybe it makes the organics easier to wash away? I’m gonna be pondering this!
I've been using bleach to clean up rock for years.
I've found it will completely dissolve large masses of button polyps or other undesirable organic mass.
I'm not sure what the chemical soup is in the bottom of the barrel, but it gets dumped.
 
No store near me has bleach or chlorine tests. I did 3 soaks in prime and a cook. I'm assuming they are safe now?? No bleach smell
 
I JUST did this a few weeks ago. Yes, the bleach smell will remain, but just keep rinsing it in RODI water until it's gone. moreoever, if you're REALLY paranoid, definitely soak it in water and test for ammonia.
 
I JUST did this a few weeks ago. Yes, the bleach smell will remain, but just keep rinsing it in RODI water until it's gone. moreoever, if you're REALLY paranoid, definitely soak it in water and test for ammonia.
Would the bleach or anything flag ammonia? Or do you just mean if there are still organics attached it will flag ammonia. I had it soak in prime overnight so I doubt that water can be tested for ammonia because prime sques ammonia readings from my knowledge
 
I've been using bleach to clean up rock for years.
I've found it will completely dissolve large masses of button polyps or other undesirable organic mass.
I'm not sure what the chemical soup is in the bottom of the barrel, but it gets dumped.

Cool. Sounds gross. But cool.
 
This is 100% hypothetical because I am sure that I got rid of all traces of bleach from the water.
If there is enough to cause harm in the tank how long would it take until I see stress in the nems corals fish inverts ect..
I'm a paranoid person I could air dry these for 50 days and still worry haha
 
Soaking rock in fresh water with vinegar and a circulation pump for a couple weeks has always worked for me. Then let it dry out. Maybe you guys like the smell of chlorine or something.

I don't get this fetish with live rock being as white as possible because it doesn't stay white. Do you also breed Golden Retrievers?
 
Soaking rock in fresh water with vinegar and a circulation pump for a couple weeks has always worked for me. Then let it dry out. Maybe you guys like the smell of chlorine or something.

I don't get this fetish with live rock being as white as possible because it doesn't stay white. Do you also breed Golden Retrievers?
I was thinking of doing vinegar. I based my decision of bleach on brs tv because they said they had good success and I looked into what other people said about bleach cured and it seemed more appealing than vinegar. I am going to monitor my nitrates, phosphates and ammonia just in case the organics still exist on the rocks..
 
I use bleach to dissolve old organics in the rock. It just makes the process fast without dissolving the rocks the way acid does. Gets the process done in 1 week.
 
I use bleach to dissolve old organics in the rock. It just makes the process fast without dissolving the rocks the way acid does. Gets the process done in 1 week.
That was my goal. The fiance wasnt keen on me playing with acid haha. This rock was nasty from my friends old tank and it sad collecting dust for years
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top