Should I be concerned about these gaps in the silicone?

No matter what else you, do this. You need to know if the gaps are getting bigger.

If the gaps do not change in size it doesn't really mean much, but if the gaps are growing in size at all, I would immediately implement emergency evacuation plans.

agree...you could use a piece of paper lined up from the corner of the tank and mark that so you don't have to mark the tank with a sharpie.
 
I have a couple spots on my WB that appear to be the same as yours. My evaluation is it just didn’t get adhesive all the way to the very edge (millimeter maybe) or trimmed slightly too far. Seems there is a bit of an optical illusion with the lights on; it gets oddly high lighted. Definitely not a bubble, just an ever so slight void. Mine have not spread in a year so I have little concern.

I can’t photo right now, but they are the bottom of the front pane. I can run a towel under and they disappear because the light doesn’t shine through.
 
one of the main things I look at when purchasing ANY tank...the seams..I'd be concerned..but like others here said..show those pics to waterbox,stat.
 
Thanks all, I sent the pics to waterbox.

The disappointing thing here is that this is the second tank. The first tank came in with a scratch on the glass, bubbles in the silicone and a crack in the glass.

All the praise I've seen for Waterbox is the reason I went with them over another Red Sea. Really bummed right now.
 
Thanks all, I sent the pics to waterbox.

The disappointing thing here is that this is the second tank. The first tank came in with a scratch on the glass, bubbles in the silicone and a crack in the glass.

All the praise I've seen for Waterbox is the reason I went with them over another Red Sea. Really bummed right now.
I think waterbox tanks look so sharp. I didn’t want to go woth Red Sea because all the blow outs. I got a smaller waterbox and the pump came in broken. The customer service was not what I expected. (I was told to buy a new one.) my thought was, I’d rather go with a company that is replacing blow out tanks than a company that won’t replace a cheap pump. I now have a brand new Red Sea cycling. Hopefully they’ll give you a good response. I really want waterbox to be a great option, as I LOVE the way their tanks look.

Hopefully the silicon ends up being a non issue.
 
I think waterbox tanks look so sharp. I didn’t want to go woth Red Sea because all the blow outs. I got a smaller waterbox and the pump came in broken. The customer service was not what I expected. (I was told to buy a new one.) my thought was, I’d rather go with a company that is replacing blow out tanks than a company that won’t replace a cheap pump. I now have a brand new Red Sea cycling. Hopefully they’ll give you a good response. I really want waterbox to be a great option, as I LOVE the way their tanks look.

Hopefully the silicon ends up being a non issue.
I have a RSR350. Outside of the junk ATO, I've been very happy with it. I decided to go with Waterbox for the big tank because of all the Red Sea blowouts. Their customer service has honestly been great. When I had issues with the first tank they had a new one to me in a few days. I have a small leak in the manifold and I shot them an email about it - new plumbing setup sent out the next day.

My issue is the quality. QC issues with their most expensive tank back-to-back is concerning.

I really, really don't want to have to break down this tank and then move a 700lbs tank for a third time.
 
I have a RSR350. Outside of the junk ATO, I've been very happy with it. I decided to go with Waterbox for the big tank because of all the Red Sea blowouts. Their customer service has honestly been great. When I had issues with the first tank they had a new one to me in a few days. I have a small leak in the manifold and I shot them an email about it - new plumbing setup sent out the next day.

My issue is the quality. QC issues with their most expensive tank back-to-back is concerning.

I really, really don't want to have to break down this tank and then move a 700lbs tank for a third time.
That’s good to hear! Maybe they didn’t find my smaller tank worth the energy, but it lost them a sale on one of their big tanks. I still plan to get a second bigger tank, so I’ll keep an open mind about them.

I think qc may be an issue too. I couldn’t figure out why my pump was so loud. Several people on Instagram told me to pull the pump apart cause their’s came in with broken pieces on the inside. That was exactly the problem I had. AND the case was cracked in half. No bueno. I have given several others the same advice to resolve loud pumps - check for cracks and broken pieces. Now I know their pumps are a secondary manufacturer. But it still seems to be pretty common for them to not be checking on and/or be willing to replace. I suspect part of it is that they are growing super fast (from my perspective anyway) and just need to refine some processes and potentially do some more training.

I really hope you don’t need to unload it again too. That’s such a headache and stressful. I think the advice with tracking the size and testing for wicking with a tissue are great options while you wait for waterbox’s response.
 
I have a RSR350. Outside of the junk ATO, I've been very happy with it. I decided to go with Waterbox for the big tank because of all the Red Sea blowouts. Their customer service has honestly been great. When I had issues with the first tank they had a new one to me in a few days. I have a small leak in the manifold and I shot them an email about it - new plumbing setup sent out the next day.

My issue is the quality. QC issues with their most expensive tank back-to-back is concerning.

I really, really don't want to have to break down this tank and then move a 700lbs tank for a third time.

This is mine:

FBDB115F-A694-4462-9F43-61FFB0AD70B9.jpeg



It's like that in a few places. I can't imagine it's the seal failing but perhaps I'm going to have the big horrible surprise one day.
 
170. It's a bit over 2yrs old. I'm the second owner, I've had it up for 8-9mo.

The lines? From the underside? I think that's just camera stuff. It's clear to the naked eye.

Edit: I run Kessils with a fair bit of shimmer so perhaps that's what causes the lines in the photo.
 
I just looked. The lines are the repeated reflection of the corner (end of pane).
 
Just seems very disappointing for the kind of hard earned money you spent on a tank like that to gamble at all. It is much easier to take care of an issue now than 2 years down the road out of warranty fully stocked.
 
Problem or not, brand new tanks should not have defects, I wouldnt accept it.
At this point, I'm so worn down from dealing with three tanks I could care less. I'll never notice it. As long as it's safe, I'm good to go with this one. Truly hope that they're correct.
 
At this point, I'm so worn down from dealing with three tanks I could care less. I'll never notice it. As long as it's safe, I'm good to go with this one. Truly hope that they're correct.
I would be confident with their response. I do not think you are at risk of a blowout. Just mark and if no change in a year, no worries.

I had serious bubbles, exposed to water, in a previous 300g marine land. Now that was nerve wracking. Even then the bubbles only grew slowly. I eventually gave that junk away.
 
That's what I had concluded. I doubt you're going to notice them when it's set up; I don't.

As for "new tank shouldn't have defects" while I agree in general...

I am not a glazier or tank builder but I am in the trades and have done a fair amount of silicone/caulk work and to be accurate enough to have zero deviation is unrealistic. If it weren't slightly voided it would have overage and someone would complain about that!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top