Should I be stirring sandbed in new tank?

i had a bryopsis outbreak a while ago and treated ith with fluconazole but it looks like its back. I also have these tiny little bug things that come out on the rocks at night if i shine a blue flashlight on them. theyre smaller than ants and crawl around kind of like ants do. I was told their baby pods but i dont know about that. I only ever introduced one or two pods into my tank when i added my chaeto and i have literally hundred of these tiny things crawling around. Plus i heard pods eat cyano or something, so i feel like if i had pods i shouldnt have this much algae. i dont know
 
we can work wonders with that 100% above for sure. *you are going to want to see Daniel's thread here, a direct copy to your reef, and how to hand guide surfaces and most importantly when to intervene, and how, based on rock growths.

*i wont post any more reading threads after this lol but this defines the entire dialog on making your tank look like all the ones we've linked:


if you read that page 1 - 9 all current puzzles answered, and all future ones. Thats the best progression set of a white rock nano reef Ive ever seen.
 
*consider the age of his tank to yours, see how we veered down a fully different path? its access, its CPR, its never hands off and no clouding allowed. we literally took the left at albuquerque but all of reefdom would have you stay on large path, where things have uglies phase. they darn near require it of you, lets not deliver it to them any more.

in Daniel's thread, we are specifically not testing params for a reason/not just to break ranks with all of reefing.
 
Last edited:
ill definitely be reading through this tonight. thanks :)
we can work wonders with that 100% above for sure. *you are going to want to see Daniel's thread here, a direct copy to your reef, and how to hand guide surfaces and most importantly when to intervene, and how, based on rock growths.

*i wont post any more reading threads after this lol but this defines the entire dialog on making your tank look like all the ones we've linked:


if you read that page 1 - 9 all current puzzles answered, and all future ones. Thats the best progression set of a white rock nano reef Ive ever seen.
 
nobody wants to do the CPR method forever, its just the best way of maturing white rocks into real coralline ones. as soon as that happens, you get to nearly stop working. I havent treated algae on my tank rocks since 2011.

fixed, as long as I reef-no gha work :)

thats the benefit of the cpr method, hard work at start, back off at the end. Opposite of res publica.
 
quick summary for your tank's immediate fix:
remove all rocks and knife scrape off the growths that are raised, bryopsis, externally and rinse off with saltwater down the sink.

put peroxide on the clean spots your scraped, not the pre treated spots like the public would. they'd treat inside the tank, and allow the dieoff to count as buildup in rocks and sand.

*rinse the sand 100% with tap as shown, put back clean.

easy. use nearly all new water if you can stand to make it. begin the feeding increase + weekly water change CPR work to corals there if any.
 
See i think thats the other thing that kinda made my tank weird. Half my rocks are old dry white rocks that were likely previously used in a freshwater tank, and the other half are live rocks that i bought from my lfs (but someone told me that they look like they would be super old live rocks, which is likely what brought in so much problems)
 
all these reefs require varying degrees of hand access if we demand compliance in them.

Nearly all the invasion threads online are the result of permitted invasion, bc we are told we are not allowed to skip uglies phasing. coralline w equalize nearly all surfaces into self managing gold

the degree we have to work to ensure coralline-covered outcomes range tank to tank, start to start.
 
Last edited:
I've only had my tank set up for just over 2 months now and have nothing in it except for a few snails. Currently I'm in the ugly stage I believe, as my rocks and the entire sandbed is getting this yellowy orange layer building up on the top that goes away when I blow on it but eventually comes back. Still confused on whether its just cyano or diatoms or if I actually am experiencing dino (which I hope I am not).

Should I be stiring up the sandbed or not? My tank is 30 gallons, and I had 2 nassarius snails but the both died (hopefully from starvation and not from eating what might be dino). When I do my waterchanges I try to syphon up the dirty buildup on the top later of the sand but I havent done any stiring of the sandbed itself. Its around 2" deep. Whats the best advice for this? Leave it alone or stir it up in sections from time to time?
Would love to know what you plan on putting in your tank. I have a new 29 gallon and have not bought anything yet. What skimmer did you buy?
 
So far i have a wheelers prawn goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Will probably add a pair of clowns once this algae has cleared up. My skimmer is a aquamaxx Hob I believe

Would love to know what you plan on putting in your tank. I have a new 29 gallon and have not bought anything yet. What skimmer did you buy?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top