Should I be worried about my sand sifter?

Aronsaquarium

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2022
Messages
273
Reaction score
56
Location
los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have my sand sifting goby for over 2 years now, never had an issue.
The last 2 weeks he’s been staying in his cave now because he’s being bullied by most of my fish.
But he never used to let them get to him..
suddenly now he tries coming slightly out of the cave, and the second any of the others are a little mean he goes right back in..
Don’t know how long he can last without doing his regular thing

Anything I should try?
I try feeding him directly every couple days, and he snatches it. But not sure if that’s hurting the problem, because there’s less inventive for him to brave the outside world

Or if he’s just getting old now..

See how brown the sand is?
It’s normally pristine!
Now just that first couple inches is clean, and the rest all dirty

IMG_6822.jpeg
 
Aggressive fish, (in my world) always have to go. Your Goby obviously serves an important service to your reef. Who’s picking on him and how attached are you to that fish. Vacuuming your sandbed at least monthly or during water changes should accompany anything your Goby does or doesn’t do. Good luck.
 
Aggressive fish, (in my world) always have to go. Your Goby obviously serves an important service to your reef. Who’s picking on him and how attached are you to that fish. Vacuuming your sandbed at least monthly or during water changes should accompany anything your Goby does or doesn’t do. Good luck.
So I feel like they pick on the easiest target, so now most of my first push him back into his cave.
Was never an issue. Just started randomly..
He decided one day he was tired of leaving his cave..
Looks healthy, but not sure if it’s getting old after a couple years?
 
So I feel like they pick on the easiest target, so now most of my first push him back into his cave.
Was never an issue. Just started randomly..
He decided one day he was tired of leaving his cave..
Looks healthy, but not sure if it’s getting old after a couple years?
Right, it’s hard to tell when we purchase fish just how old they are. A good idea though, you spot feeding this one. Nice move.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top