Should I get my clownish an anemone

kingkapoor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2019
Messages
206
Reaction score
108
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get my clownfish an anemone ?

My girlfriend wants one, we have a medium'ish tank (55 g) . We have a yellow tang (baby) and some damsels in there too we would not want to lose to an anemone. also is it true the condalycitis anemone is not hostable?
 
Should I get my clownfish an anemone ?

My girlfriend wants one, we have a medium'ish tank (55 g) . We have a yellow tang (baby) and some damsels in there too we would not want to lose to an anemone. also is it true the condalycitis anemone is not hostable?
How old is the tank? What light do you have?
 
Tank itself is pretty new 2 weeks, but it came from our established tank which has been around for a few months. We have the aqua sky marine fluval lighting system
 
That light will not work. You need a much better light.
 
Personally I would not get an anemone just for your clownfish. You should get it because you want an anemone and ready to care for it.

I wanted an anemone because they are awesome and thought my clownfish would be happy. Now 4 months later, the anemone is doing awesome but the clowns do not go anywhere near it. They host everything else but that. Funny, huh?
 
Tank itself is pretty new 2 weeks, but it came from our established tank which has been around for a few months. We have the aqua sky marine fluval lighting system

A few months is not a long time at all. I would hold off on the Nem as it needs a more established tank (think 1 year).

Damsels are territorial and can get very nasty in defending that territory.
 
Anemones need a tank to be up and running for at least a year. So I'd wait if I were you. In the meantime, here is a chart you can look at that details which anemones are compatible with which clownfish: https://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm .
P.S. It is true...condies and clowns generally won't partner up.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top