Should I remove the coraline on my Nero 5?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2018
Messages
1,341
Reaction score
1,976
Location
Hallandale Beach, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I attempt to remove the coraline on my Nero 5 or just leave it alone?

4B1DBAC7-F26F-4BEA-98BF-76282D2BE75C.jpeg
 
Yes. You should clean your pumps and powerheads frequently for both increased performance and longevity and so they don't look like eyesores in the display tank. The nero 5 is one of the easiest powerheads to take apart and clean imo.
 
At some point yes. That does not look bad at all, but at some point at your leisure you can drop in a bucket of 50% vinegar/water to soak for a few hours and it will easily scrub off. All powerheads lose volume when dirty. Deposits can also cause excessive wear and shorten the life of the pump.

Now that I've typed all of that, I should probably scrub down my 3 return pumps. argh
 
At some point yes. That does not look bad at all, but at some point at your leisure you can drop in a bucket of 50% vinegar/water to soak for a few hours and it will easily scrub off. All powerheads lose volume when dirty. Deposits can also cause excessive wear and shorten the life of the pump.

Now that I've typed all of that, I should probably scrub down my 3 return pumps. argh

I would not recommend using vineger but instead using muriatic or citric acid.
 
I would not recommend using vineger but instead using muriatic or citric acid.

While I would agree muriatic works better/faster (and maybe it does not penetrate plastics/rubber to the same degree) I would only recommend it if I am sure the OP understands just how corrosive that stuff is to human flesh, eyes, lungs.

Pretty sure most pump vendors recommend vinegar for the same reason. Not that it is better but that it works and is safer.

I bought a bag of citric acid a while back which I will be giving a try. For years, I've just kept a bucket of vinegar around to drop in frag racks, pumps, etc.
 
Yes. You should clean your pumps and powerheads frequently for both increased performance and longevity and so they don't look like eyesores in the display tank. The nero 5 is one of the easiest powerheads to take apart and clean imo.

I clean the inside of my Nero 5 almost every 2 weeks and I agree it is easy to take apart. However the coraline is building up on the outside and I as much as I like the added color I would like the wave maker to be solid black. :)
 
While I would agree muriatic works better/faster (and maybe it does not penetrate plastics/rubber to the same degree) I would only recommend it if I am sure the OP understands just how corrosive that stuff is to human flesh, eyes, lungs.

Pretty sure most pump vendors recommend vinegar for the same reason. Not that it is better but that it works and is safer.

I bought a bag of citric acid a while back which I will be giving a try. For years, I've just kept a bucket of vinegar around to drop in frag racks, pumps, etc.
This is true, muriatic acid does come with some additional safety precautions and PPE use. Guess that is why citric acid is being so popular. Less personal safety risk with the ability to still clean.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top