Should I wait to add shirmp to the display?

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2020
Messages
68
Reaction score
34
Location
SW VA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reaching a month old on my 25gal cube. I started with 50/50 live rock/dry rock and live sand. I dosed bottle-bacteria every day for the first week and missed the cycle completely. The tank is running great and I have already introduced a small pair of clowns, a full grown cleaner shrimp, various snails, and a porcelain crab. Today I just received my shipment of 2 blood/fire shrimp and they are TINY. Maybe just over an inch each. I currently have them temp and drip acclimating and I am somewhat afraid to add them to the display for fear that my clowns will tear them apart. I currently have my new frags in the refugium section of my sump with a standard ai prime on an acclimation lighting schedule for the next few weeks before I add them to the display (no chaeto in the fuge yet as I wanted it clear for the corals and its bare bottom). Would I be better off adding the shrimp to the refugium (about 8-10 gal volume) for a while so that they can grow a bit, or am I just being crazy thinking the clowns will be able to kill the shrimp? The clowns are about 2" and 1.5" in size and they sometimes bother my cleaner, but he has no problem keeping them at bay.
 
The clowns wont bother the new shrimp. If anything the fire shrimps will go and hide into your rockwork.
 
feel free to add the shrimp they will be just fine. But like said above they will probably hide, so if you don't see them, don't panic.
 
my fire shrimp hides behind the rock work all day until its feeding time. mine has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and it has molted twice already... crazy.
 
I have a pair of clowns maybe 1"-1.5" and a 1" fire shrimp in a 20 gallon peninsula, absolutely no issues. The fire shrimp found a little cave thing to hang out in and the clowns have their nem, nobody bothers each other.
 
Thanks for the replys! I added them into the sump yesterday, but I'll transfer them over to the main display today.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top