Should the pump on my CaRx sound like this??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biff0rz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mine has been doing this from the beginning as well, sounds like cavitation, but I just chock it up to my quick connect fitting are leaking somewhere and are pulling air into the system, I tried pushing and pulling with the kamoer and nothing helped. It doesn't bother me anymore and my consumption is way higher now and I haven't had any issues. If I was determined, I think I would take all the quick disconnects off and go back with barbs and hose clamps everywhere to rule out leaks there, but just run it, it won't hurt anything.
 
So... I figured it out. The fix, not so simple. I contacted GEO and this was what he said:

If you own a GEO calcium reactor that was built before 2009 (manifold connected to the lid via union) then this design was built to have pressure inside the reactor. Pressure was supplied to the reactor via small feed pump placed in your sump (MaxiJet/Colbalt 600 or Sicce 0.5) and the effluent control via micro ball/needle valve. These models went into production approximately in 1999 BEFORE continuous duty peristaltic pumps were being used in the aquarium trade. If you try to run a peristaltic pump ALONE on these models you will get a build up of CO2 since there is no pressure to compress the intoduced Co2 into the water column. Some users can get them to work normally if a high effluent rate and low Co2 dosing is used. The work around if you must use a peristaltic pump with these models, although we do not recommend this, is to use both a small feed pump (<125 gph) *****WARNING connections must be secure and O-Rings/Uni-seal in good condition******* and a peristaltic pump in the pull configuration. Yes the feed pump will be pushing against the peristaltic pump but at low enough pressure not to damage it. REMEMBER THIS IS AT YOUR RISK AND AGAIN THIS IS A WORK AROUND AND NOT RECOMMENDED BY GEO'S REEF. We do however recommend that you follow the original directions listed on our website with use of only a small feed pump. This pre-2019 design is proven for almost 20 years without any major issues. Our advice is to just use the feed pump. If you choose to use the equipment in a way that it was not designed it is at your own risk.

So with that being said, he suggested I use it as designed. But that also means getting rid of my kamoer pump and better control. Nope.

Option 2? Buy some replacement parts and modify the current CaRx. This would mean a new lid, and the 2019 manifold. It also means... Cutting the acrylic wall of the current unit. See attached pic.

I'm pretty handy, but this one does worry me a bit. I plan to use a bi-metal hole saw and to go slowly. If it all works out I should be able to put a new uniseal on there, attach the new manifold and top and be good to go. If it doesn't work, I'll be out another $695 and ordering a new one.

Not stressful at all lol.

CR818f2019~2.jpg
 
So... I figured it out. The fix, not so simple. I contacted GEO and this was what he said:



So with that being said, he suggested I use it as designed. But that also means getting rid of my kamoer pump and better control. Nope.

Option 2? Buy some replacement parts and modify the current CaRx. This would mean a new lid, and the 2019 manifold. It also means... Cutting the acrylic wall of the current unit. See attached pic.

I'm pretty handy, but this one does worry me a bit. I plan to use a bi-metal hole saw and to go slowly. If it all works out I should be able to put a new uniseal on there, attach the new manifold and top and be good to go. If it doesn't work, I'll be out another $695 and ordering a new one.

Not stressful at all lol.

CR818f2019~2.jpg

Read @RandyC’s post here about modifying the old style GEO CaRx to feed the effluent through the lid and inserting a small extension into the manifold intake on the lid to purge it of air. No new manifold or drilling of the CaRx cylinder necessary.

 
Read @RandyC’s post here about modifying the old style GEO CaRx to feed the effluent through the lid and inserting a small extension into the manifold intake on the lid to purge it of air. No new manifold or drilling of the CaRx cylinder necessary.

Wow, ok, yea thats a LOT easier. Question - GEO mentions that pre 2019 should NOT use a peri pump but still use a sicce .5 feed pump in the sump and the gate/needle valve and/or peri pump (with risk). If I do the mod in the post you linked, would I be able to use my kamoer pump? That is the main reason I am doing this as I'll have more fine-grain control.
 
Yes, you’ll be able to use your Kamoer post mod. In fact, people have used a peristaltic pump with the old style GEOs as well. It’s just a lot more finicky and less forgiving as you have found out.
 
Yes, you’ll be able to use your Kamoer post mod. In fact, people have used a peristaltic pump with the old style GEOs as well. It’s just a lot more finicky and less forgiving as you have found out.
Ok, sweet. Randy mentions "I used a flexible extension tube that came with the Innovative Marine spin stream return nozzle". Do you know if there's a better part to use for this? Plus, I don't have one of those...
 
Ok, sweet. Randy mentions "I used a flexible extension tube that came with the Innovative Marine spin stream return nozzle". Do you know if there's a better part to use for this? Plus, I don't have one of those...

I think you could use any small piece of tubing that fits snugly into the manifold pipe and extends down into the chamber a short distance. I think there was also a 3d printer piece someone made that fit it too. As long as the wall is not too thick so you don't reduce the flow too much as the pump pulls water into the manifold.
 
I think you could use any small piece of tubing that fits snugly into the manifold pipe and extends down into the chamber a short distance. I think there was also a 3d printer piece someone made that fit it too. As long as the wall is not too thick so you don't reduce the flow too much as the pump pulls water into the manifold.
Is there a 3d file? My friend has a printer..
 
Try this... It’s made specifically for GEO calcium reactors. In fact, the second picture is from my CaRx! :)

 
Try this... It’s made specifically for GEO calcium reactors. In fact, the second picture is from my CaRx! :)

Thanks for the link.

I'll ask him for the file, hopefully, he shares it or I'll just model something similar.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top