Should There Be Some Sort Of Skimmer Sizing Standard?

The best way to get the correct skimmer for your size tank is

Hi I have a ____ gallon tank I want to have,
a SPS
b mixed reef
c predator fish only

Then when people have that size tank and bio load and more than a few love that skimmer on that tank, buy that skimmer.
Never add the sump volume to the size of the DT.

For example a Bubble King 160 is perfectly matched to a 90 gallon tank.
A Aqua Maxx S C0-1 is for sub 75 gallon tanks.
My old Euro Reef CS 5/3 aka Reef Dynamics INS 80 is perfect for a 55 gallon tank.

You can never go by what the manufactures state, the truth is in the puddling.
 
I use pretty much the air flow rating and neck size to compare. I have found that is pretty accurate for determining comparable "tank ratings" between brands. Now this only works for similar style skimmers, such as needlewheel vs needlewheel, but almost all skimmers are the same style now, so it works pretty well IMO. To reference tank size I then look up vertex ratings for their skimmers, I think their tank sizing recommendations are pretty spot on for reef tanks.
 
the truth is in the puddling.

Say what? :D

Mangled metaphors aside, your point is a good one that folk's best option is to look for skimmers that work 'on a tank like mine'. It's not perfect, because stocking density plays a role, but it's as good a proxy as we are likely to get.
 
Mangled Metaphors are my specialty like Blue Spot Octopus when I am looking at images of Blue Ring Octopus's yeah brain farts galore.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top