Show your Red Sea LED 90 / 160S lights...? :)

salty150

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2016
Messages
683
Reaction score
568
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in the Red Sea LED 90 / 160S lights... (rest of equipment is Red Sea)

But there are no Red Sea dealers in my entire state - which makes it very hard to go and look at them in person.

I know that they only have blue (reef-spec) and white LEDs...

Every video I have seen on YouTube makes these lights look VERY blue - a little too blue for my liking.

But I assume that is because most people who buy these lights - like the blue!

Anyone have the 90 / 160S and have it on a not-so-blue setting and willing to share pics / videos...? :)
 
They do have a strong output blue but can Easily be balanced with the stronger white channel. I run blue at Max, and bring par up where I need it with the white channel.

I do visually prefer a more blue overall look.

PXL_20220719_020412825.jpg
 
Their blue is very blue (royal blue?) but like it was said you can balance it out rather easily.
 

Attachments

  • 44DBF427-A395-4A76-AFA7-D98BEFDECE1D.jpeg
    44DBF427-A395-4A76-AFA7-D98BEFDECE1D.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 167
They do have a strong output blue but can Easily be balanced with the stronger white channel. I run blue at Max, and bring par up where I need it with the white channel.

I do visually prefer a more blue overall look.

PXL_20220719_020412825.jpg
You said it would work really well and be better for LPS and not so demanding SPS right but not so much all Acros? May have understood it wrong lol.
 
You said it would work really well and be better for LPS and not so demanding SPS right but not so much all Acros? May have understood it wrong lol.
Not a great retelling, these lights will GROW acropora. I've seen some Incredible RSR acro tanks powered by ReefLed90's.

They do have a small point of light so are prone to shading if you don't have enough coverage. Filler strips work great as supplements.
 
Not a great retelling, these lights will GROW acropora. I've seen some Incredible RSR acro tanks powered by ReefLed90's.

They do have a small point of light so are prone to shading if you don't have enough coverage. Filler strips work great as supplements.
Got it! Yea lol sorry about the bad retelling. How about this

2-3 on 3 footer, 3-4 on a 4 footer, 5-6+ on 5foot+?
 
On LPS dominated systems, I had two on a 4 ft 120, three on a 6 ft 180. The 6 ft needed light bars to reduce shading. They will Grow coral.
Is there like “mod” ways to increase spread on them?
 
I doubt it. The lense and diodes are only so big and a single point.
They don’t give too much shimmer off as well right? Also why do you think that so many people don’t go down the RedSea LED road?
 
They do have a strong output blue but can Easily be balanced with the stronger white channel. I run blue at Max, and bring par up where I need it with the white channel.

I do visually prefer a more blue overall look.

PXL_20220719_020412825.jpg
Yes, that is definitely blue! :p

Thanks!
 
I thought the LED 90 was 300 something?
Looks like they have come down since the 160 was released. They were ~439 pre tax and shipping when I bought an additional one last year.

I can't tell you why not as many people use them. I think they are pretty common on full red Sea kit tanks.

I also know they allow for incredible pictures, specifically of coral, and that alone is worth it to me. You've seen my builds. Every tank but the frag tank run ReefLed's
 
Looks like they have come down since the 160 was released. They were ~439 pre tax and shipping when I bought an additional one last year.

I can't tell you why not as many people use them. I think they are pretty common on full red Sea kit tanks.

I also know they allow for incredible pictures, specifically of coral, and that alone is worth it to me. You've seen my builds. Every tank but the frag tank run ReefLed's
That’s why I’m considering them instead of the Radions because my tank won’t be acro dominated mostly lps.
 
That’s why I’m considering them instead of the Radions because my tank won’t be acro dominated mostly lps.
If I didn't care about photo ability and lighting a LPS dominated tank, I would probably go with the RB photon wifi model id one is available in the right length for the tank.

They have great spread on the board and don't need additional filler lighting.

They just so happen to screw with the digital pickup on cameras, which is less than ideal .
 
No one uses a lighter, more "white", or "natural" color spectrum with their ReefLEDs...? :(
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top