Skimmer not skimming - BM Nac 3.5

  • Thread starter Thread starter ph123uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Seems to now also be "chugging"
 
That's really odd. That sucking sound seems to be air getting pulled in intermittently. That's gotta be either at the venturi or the impeller.
 
It wasn't doing this chugging yesterday, was a constant sound haha, trust me to get this silly problem, almost like the impellor is spinning too slow
 
It could be catching. Might want to pull it out and clean the inside. The impeller shafts can swell too, which would mean you need a new one.

Did you recently clean it in something?
 
Nope, not at all, put it in a bucket of old tank water just now - ran like a dream straight away, instant foam.....no chugging noise
 
Of course it did :)

I'm sticking by my first thought.
 
So, back in sump, same problem - has to be the water! - shall I wait this out for it to break down or do a massive water change? Or just keep changing carbon!?
 
I'd just let it be, but if you can do a few water changes over the week that would certainly help.
 
You'd like to think items made for aquaria would be manufactured and rinsed after production. (the overflow)

I wouldn't mind if it was £10 (15 ish dollars) but it was £80....

Oh well, all good, least I don't need a new skimmer!

Cheers Engineer
 
I would start with the intake at pump and the airline going in to skimmer
 
Cheers Vette, we ascertained it was simply a change in water tension from the new items added to the tank, appreciate the reply however.
 
Just another quick update - all back to normal, no more microbubbles, skimmer back to pulling the gunk out - cheers all
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top