I will have to respectfully disagree with you on some points.
I started out with a big tank, a 150G and everything was fantastic but it leaked.
Went to my LFS and bought a 110G and transferred the rock and livestock.
This is a temporary set up until I get my 150 replaced.
Well I started a 12G Nano while I was waiting on time and money to get my main tank back up and running again.
The nano is a lot more work and worry. Parameters are so much harder to keep stable, temperature fluctuations everything. Algae blooms can overtake it in a matter of hours, its crazy. Not to mention being a new reefer one mistake will crash the tank.
In a nano one drop to much ALK and there's an immediate deadly spike, ETC.
Yes the volume of water changes with a big tank are larger true.
But they are a lot farther in between, once a month or six weeks. Nano tank needs weekly or more water changes. At least my tank does.
Until today its was a bit overstocked, with two clowns, a Yellow eye Tang, eight heads of Dendro was 12, and a BTA, and last but not least two snails.
Yes I know the tang should not be in there. I had no choice as he was loosing the fight with the potters angel in the 110 and he is the smaller of the two fish so I put him in the nano.
My new 150 system is up and running and as of today the clowns and Tang are in their new and permanent home.
So I say go big or go home, I for one will be happy to get my corals moved out of the Nano over the next week or so and for now, be done with it. YMMV