Snails, dying within hours of being added?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2019
Messages
2,607
Reaction score
2,732
Location
Roseville
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I moved my tank I have been having a problem with new Snails dying within hours of being added to the tank. I added about 20 hermit crabs last week and they were all fine, my conchs are fine, my cleaner shrimp is also fine...but the snails are dying? All of my specs are fine, I am having no problems with anything BUT the snails. Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
 
How are you acclimating them?

Have you ever tested for copper?
 
How are you acclimating them?

Have you ever tested for copper?


I have both added them immediately after temp acclimating and drip for over an hour. I get the same outcome either way.

I have not, but if I had a copper problem, wouldn't my cleaner shrimp and Conchs be having a problem?

I am very stumped how only snails are having a problem.
 
Last edited:
I have both added them immediately after temp acclimating and drip for over an hour. I get the same outcome either way.

I have not, but if I had a copper problem, wouldn't my cleaner shrimp and Conchs be having a problem?

Ok, that rules out acclimation.

Normally yes. And to be honest I’m just reaching here for ideas, but what if it was right on that line of fatal to the most sensitive, but slightly tolerable by slightly less sensitive.

Have you calibrated your refractometer lately? (Again, just double checking)
 
Ok, that rules out acclimation.

Normally yes. And to be honest I’m just reaching here for ideas, but what if it was right on that line of fatal to the most sensitive, but slightly tolerable by slightly less sensitive.

Have you calibrated your refractometer lately? (Again, just double checking)

I have, sitting at 1.026.
 
After I moved I got a bout of Cyano, finally getting it somewhat under control...I have been dosing about 13-14ml of H202? But again, it's weird how none of my other conchs, or cleaner shrimp are having problems.
 
Im pretty new to reefing and only added snails 4 times. The first time I drip acclimation for a long time and like you had a bunch of deaths. I researched and someone recommended dripping for only 15-20 because the water temp may drop with long drips. I havent had any deaths the past 3 times. Maybe try shorter acclimation time?
 
Im pretty new to reefing and only added snails 4 times. The first time I drip acclimation for a long time and like you had a bunch of deaths. I researched and someone recommended dripping for only 15-20 because the water temp may drop with long drips. I havent had any deaths the past 3 times. Maybe try shorter acclimation time?

I have had this happen multiple times, I thought the same thing and didnt drop the ones last night.
 
I have had this happen multiple times, I thought the same thing and didnt drop the ones last night.
Maybe drip for 15 minutes. They believe are sensitive to alk changes I believe. I also read they are sensitive to low magnesium.
 
Nope. Bought a cleaner package online and then my LFS as well. Same outcome every time.
That is interesting. It would seem to point to something in your tank specifically then. Maybe the drip acclamation needs to be sower and over several hours if there’s some other parameters that are very different from the tank they came from. Maybe there’s something they are eating that’s poisoning them?
 
That is interesting. It would seem to point to something in your tank specifically then. Maybe the drip acclamation needs to be sower and over several hours if there’s some other parameters that are very different from the tank they came from. Maybe there’s something they are eating that’s poisoning them?

Im so stumped because I feel like I would of gotten the same issue with the conchs. But they're just fine
 
Im so stumped because I feel like I would of gotten the same issue with the conchs. But they're just fine
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe place them on the sand first and see if that does anything. I wondered if something in the rocks is a culprit
 
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe place them on the sand first and see if that does anything. I wondered if something in the rocks is a culprit

Tried both. Only put them on the rock because I had some cyano on it. lol The last ones I got went on the sand.
 
Tried both. Only put them on the rock because I had some cyano on it. lol The last ones I got went on the sand.
Why you making this so difficult to figure out!? LOL

You could buy just one and do a longer temp-adjusted acclimation period (several hours) or compare the bagged water to yours (salinity, alk) if you want to keep investigating.

What kind of snails have your tried? (hoping you will say they were freshwater by accident haha)
 
Why you making this so difficult to figure out!? LOL

You could buy just one and do a longer temp-adjusted acclimation period (several hours) or compare the bagged water to yours (salinity, alk) if you want to keep investigating.

What kind of snails have your tried? (hoping you will say they were freshwater by accident haha)

Right?

Everything.

Turban Snails, Nessarius snails, trochus, Turbo, Astrea...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top