So confused with what is happening

  • Thread starter Thread starter MKDean
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
The nopox depelting oxygen could definitely be it. We had hair algae that nothing seemed to have gotten rid of. We still have algae on the sides and rocks but it’s not hair algae. Should I try an air stone for the mean time to increase oxygen? We don’t have enough room for a Refugium. We feed a variety of frozen foods.
Do you run a skimmer? If not, I would add an air stone.
I'd cut back on the NO3PO4x and see how things go.
I think this is excellent advice. It might also help to post a picture of the tank so we can see what algae you are dealing with.
 
Do you run a skimmer? If not, I would add an air stone.

I think this is excellent advice. It might also help to post a picture of the tank so we can see what algae you are dealing with.
We do run a skimmer, but I might add an air stone for a bit just in case as well as stopping the nopox. I will get a picture when I get home. Thanks so much for the help!
 
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The air stone has seemed to do the trick but I will continue to keep an eye on it. Within 30 min of adding the air stone the fish started breathing normally, snails went back into the sand and everyone seems to be happy again. Thank you so much for your quick response and help fixing my problem!
 
I agree. That and the long list of inhabitants and corals. As previously stated, there is more in the tank than can be supported.

1. Are you using live rock in the tank?
2. How old is the tank?
3. Did you quarantine the items you've placed in the tank BEFORE placing them?

Also, be very guarded with the advice you get from local fish stores. We are in a day and age where brick and mortar stores are struggling to compete with the on line industry. They push quick installation and stocking advice to get the money flowing in to the business.

I recommend that the next time you buy their water, run all of your tests on it. You may be surprised at the results you get.

Dom
I don’t think 5 damsels and some crabs cuz in a 20 gallon tank is overstocked. But perhaps I’m misthinking. Why do you think that could be the problem
 
To me. One dead fish—-> ammonia—-> stress—->. More bacteria —->. Less oxygen —-> more death
 
I have my wave maker agitating the surface and the filter out put does as well. Should I add an air stone for a bit to see if that will help? If it’s ammonia spikes how should I manage that?
It sounds like you have a well established tank with everything running that you should have. Like you, I’m stumped. I have had my dkh run briefly at 12.6 with no ill effects. My pH can run anywhere from 7.5 to 8.0. Today it actually hit 8.11. I was shocked. Moral of the story.... our SW friends can withstand a lot more than we think they can. My best guess is your damsels have eliminated the competition. Good luck!
 
Damsel and Chromis are known to be super aggressive to each other especially during lights out time. They are territorial and often will stress each other out before you see them fighting . That many in a 20 gallon tank will only make them more territorial as they struggle to find there own space with such limited space available.

There is a lady on another Forum who i find a credible expert on damsel fish , She claims each damsel needs 20 gallons of space with lots of hiding places to be happy and not fight or stress each other out.

This is just another Viable Theory outside of the Water Chemistry issues..

I think its a mix between the above and low oxygen ... Ohh using anything with the word chemi on it is bad.. chemi-clean chemi- this .. chemi that.. Its snake oil in a bottle and that alone can cause your chemistry to go way out of balance especially on such a small tank..

Stress is the issue in my Internet created professional opinion..

Good Luck
 
Why do you think that could be the problem

It's about the tank being able to handle the bio load. Are they using live rock in the tank? If so, is it enough rock to house a nitrifying bacteria colony large enough to manage the bio load?

Too many unanswered questions.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top