So I guess its time to catch the flame angel?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2016
Messages
2,654
Reaction score
2,060
Location
Nashville,TN
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was having problems with polyp extension. I had two angelfish so I got rid of the lemonpeel angelfish which I knew was picking at the corals. The LPS have now gotten better and back to their glory but some sps still do not have polyp extension. I know see that the Flame has picked on some of them. So i am going to run an experiment and see if I catch the flame angel will polyp extension slowly start to come out. So my question is I have an aquamedic trap that I plan to catch him in. It is the biggest one. I have heard of people using these as acclimation boxes so new fish can get comfortable with the tank before they are introduced. I was wondering if I can keep the flame angel in this trap for a few days to see if he is the problem?
 
If you have seen the flame angel nipping at them he is for sure the reason for the lack of PE. That being said it is not necessary for SPS to have PE during the day. Your corals can continue to grow and maintain their colors without daytime PE.

To answer your question, yes you can keep him in an acclimation box/ fish trap for a few days. Obviously he won't be very happy but it can be done.
 
Well I havent checked yet but I don't see polyp extension at night either. I was thinking a pest but IDk what pests bother milliepora
 
I've used the AM trap to keep fish in until I could figure out what to do with them. I kept the trap in the tank for @3-4 days before trying to catch the fish. When they become comfortable with it being in the tank, it's pretty easy to catch them. Flames are know to nip at SPS polyps. I had a friend who had one and you could see the side of the tank where he hung out, polyp extension was void in his space but was open in the other areas of his tank. They typically don't eat the polyps but just take enough tastes to cause the SPS not to open up. Good luck with your test!
 
It is. Flame was a dream fish and the one fish I couldnt keep a live had two before and died within a week. This one had been going strong for like 6months and fat still and he could be the puzzle to my polyp extension.
 
Did you notice better polyp extension after removing the flame?

I have a flame angel (My top reef fish with caution).. Generally, its either grazing algae or nipping at LR. If I can pinpoint the angelfish as the cause of polyp extension issues id remove but have not observed much of anything. I still think its combination of factors that are effecting my daytime polyp extension. Hopefully it just requires time and that annoying thing called patients for polyps to extent
 
It is hard for me to say because I had two angelfish that I took out but PE has slowly slowly gotten better so has color. But it is way to early to tell.
 
my flame angel was a model citizen until I put forest fire digitata in my tank. I noticed there no polyps extension so I decided to test by putting 1 frag into a breeder box and another I kept inside the tank. After a few days the one in the breeder box got full polyps max extension while the other one barely have any.
The flame doesnt nip often but enough for the polyps to not come out.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top