sodium bisulfate vs. muriatic acid for lowering alk

  • Thread starter Thread starter rck329
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
96
Reaction score
61
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I want to adjust down the alkalinity of my water change (IO) so that I can do large water changes without spiking alk.

I'd rather not deal with muriatic acid on a regular basis - would sodium bisulfate be considered a safer alternative? Or rather, just that an anhydrous form is safer than liquid?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
 
Thanks Randy! The additional sulfur would not be of concern, correct? I would be adding 20 grams to 150 L -> 32/120*20 = 5.3g -> 5300 mg/150 L = 35 ppm? Or does the sulfur combine to form something else?
 
It leaves a small amount of sulfate, which is the third most abundant in in seawater by weight, after sodium and chloride, so the residue is no concern (assuming it is adequately pure). :)
 
this is exactly what i need to lower my alk in my display, where can i get sodium bisulfite?
 
this is exactly what i need to lower my alk in my display, where can i get sodium bisulfite?

I think you want Sodium Bisulfate, not Bisulfite (both are readily available). Ebay or Amazon carry bulk but I just bought Seachem Acid Buffer since it's not appreciably more costly than bulk. Just be careful dosing your display directly as it will lower ph. Personally, I would just adjust your water change water and then slowly bring your display down with that.
 
Hi @Randy
I just mixed new 4 gallons at 5.7 dkh, how much dkh will i get when i do do water change on my 42 gallon at 8.7 dkh? also do u have a formula to calculate this?
Thanks
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top