Sodium Phosphate Dibasic, Anhydrous. OK to dose/how much?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2015
Messages
3,707
Reaction score
2,473
Location
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy,

Is this product okay to mix in RO and dose into my reef tank to raise phosphate levels? There were several formulations available but this had the shortest molecular formula so I thought that equalled purest (not sure if that checks out haha).

Also, how would I determine how much to dose to raise my tank by a certain ppm (or ppb, I have the Hanna ULR phosphorus which reads ppb and I have to convert to ppm phosphate).

Thanks!
d7ce21e28f1f14c73a3e72731fbfaeef.jpg
 
Reagent grade is good. In general, the percentage is not that useful in revealing the purity. :)

That material is 67% phosphate.

Adding 1 gram (1000 mg) to 110 gallons (416 L) water volume will boost phosphate by 1,000 mg x 0.67/416 L = 1.6 mg/L

Too much.

Dissolve 1 gram of the product in 1 L of RO/DI, and add 10 mL of this liquid to your tank and you will boost phosphate by 1.6/100 mg/L = 0.016 mg/L. :)
 
Reagent grade is good. In general, the percentage is not that useful in revealing the purity. :)

That material is 67% phosphate.

Adding 1 gram (1000 mg) to 110 gallons (416 L) water volume will boost phosphate by 1,000 mg x 0.67/416 L = 1.6 mg/L

Too much.

Dissolve 1 gram of the product in 1 L of RO/DI, and add 10 mL of this liquid to your tank and you will boost phosphate by 1.6/100 mg/L = 0.016 mg/L. :)
You are THE man. Thanks!
 
Mg/l phosphate is basically ppm phosphate right? So adding 10ml of the 1g/L solution will add .016 ppm phosphate? Just making sure :)
 
Mg/l phosphate is basically ppm phosphate right? So adding 10ml of the 1g/L solution will add .016 ppm phosph weighs more than 1 kgate? Just making sure :)

Very close, yes.

The reason for a difference is that 1 L of seawater weighs more than 1 kg.

ppm is exactly equivalent to mg/kg, not exactly mg/L :)
 
Reagent grade is good. In general, the percentage is not that useful in revealing the purity. :)

That material is 67% phosphate.

Adding 1 gram (1000 mg) to 110 gallons (416 L) water volume will boost phosphate by 1,000 mg x 0.67/416 L = 1.6 mg/L

Too much.

Dissolve 1 gram of the product in 1 L of RO/DI, and add 10 mL of this liquid to your tank and you will boost phosphate by 1.6/100 mg/L = 0.016 mg/L. :)
hello and sorry if I disturb you. in Italy I only managed to find the Sodium phosphate monobasic dihydrate but I can't understand the doses for a 1 liter solution and how much I should then dose in the aquarium. Could you help me? Thanks and sorry for my english
 
@pygoplites77 This thread talks about the dosing of monosodium phosphate
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top