Some type of worm that spits out slime.

  • Thread starter Thread starter xnaz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

xnaz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
488
Reaction score
256
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some type of worm that spits out slime when I put food in. Can anyone tell me what it is?

72F96630-D2C8-4D52-BC99-5F20D9B77197.jpeg
 
Hard to tell exactly what is ask to be identified within the photo, but if I were take a stab at it then I would say Vermetid Snail.
 
Looks like vermetid worms and lots of aptasia.
Yeah the aptasia is a problem I have been having and trying to get rid of it. My nudibranchs are in there but don’t know if they are doing anything. Any other ideas?
 
Definitely a vermetid snail. Not dangerous but ugly and a PITA because the webs bother corals.
Break off the base and super glue over usually works. Also bumblebee snails are said to eat them (mine don’t).
 
Definitely a vermetid snail. Not dangerous but ugly and a PITA because the webs bother corals.
Break off the base and super glue over usually works. Also bumblebee snails are said to eat them (mine don’t).
Ok cool thanks for the info.
 
Your description sounds like vermetids but we are all distracted by the aips. Can you paint an arrow toward what we are looking for?

If it has a hard tube and emits a slime thread it is vermetids.

Aiptasia: If you put in enough nudis and you don't have too many wrasses I promise they will resolve your problem with aiptasia. Wish they were a little more affordable.
 
Your description sounds like vermetids but we are all distracted by the aips. Can you paint an arrow toward what we are looking for?

If it has a hard tube and emits a slime thread it is vermetids.

Aiptasia: If you put in enough nudis and you don't have too many wrasses I promise they will resolve your problem with aiptasia. Wish they were a little more affordable.
I currently have 4 but is there anything that eats them cause I haven’t seen the aptasia go away. I do have bristle worms in there and I worry that it’s eating them.
 
those tubes look a little small for vermetid but im thinking spinoid worms which send out clear hair-like tubes in search of food. Tube worms send out fans in search of food
 
those tubes look a little small for vermetid but im thinking spinoid worms which send out clear hair-like tubes in search of food. Tube worms send out fans in search of food
Do spinoids get that long and brown?
I currently have 4 but is there anything that eats them cause I haven’t seen the aptasia go away. I do have bristle worms in there and I worry that it’s eating them.
Aptasia eating filefish
 
2x Vermetid tubes from the back of the unhappy hammer is fairly clear to me in the pic.
 
vermetid snails.png

Looks like Vermetid Snails for sure. If you have 2, you probably have more elsewhere in your tank. As said above, you can glue over them or just use a screwdriver to smash their main shell to kill them. I would for sure get rid of them ASAP so they don't spread (they can get into your pumps and plumbing and cause all sorts of problems.
 
Vermetid snails might be the least of your problems in that pic.
 
Vermetid snails might be the least of your problems in that pic.
Thank you for posting tubes- Yep, vermetid and this is liely what he is seeing :

1626720872506.png
1626720917619.png


Spirobids:

1626720905121.png
 
I currently have 4 but is there anything that eats them cause I haven’t seen the aptasia go away. I do have bristle worms in there and I worry that it’s eating them.
If they can find each other and feed together on an aiptasia they will multiply. You won't notice any change until the population gets much much larger. And then after a few months they will start knocking down the aiptasia.

I bought $600 worth for a 120G and they had the place cleaned up in about 6 months. In the last month, they mowed down more than the prior 5 months combined. (I am crudely estimating the timeline, but the pace of change was dramatically different once they multiplied.)
 
If they can find each other and feed together on an aiptasia they will multiply. You won't notice any change until the population gets much much larger. And then after a few months they will start knocking down the aiptasia.

I bought $600 worth for a 120G and they had the place cleaned up in about 6 months. In the last month, they mowed down more than the prior 5 months combined. (I am crudely estimating the timeline, but the pace of change was dramatically different once they multiplied.)
Ok cool thanks for the info.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top