Something in my water messes with my phosphat test ?

Stick-y

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2020
Messages
21
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm from Belgium so please forgive my english and let me know if something I write isn't clear enough :)

I have a 36 gallons reeftank, I have the RedSea pro phosphat test kit and it's been three weeks I have really really high phosphate (more than 1ppm). All my corals are fine, I don't have algae (even not on the tank glass)... So today I went to my local fish store, the owner has a machine to test water. According to this machine my phosphat are 0.4 ppm... I was very surprised so I asked him to test my water with a classic JBL phosphat test, the result : 1.2 ppm.

So here is my question, is it possible that something modifies my test at home with RedSea Pro test kit ?

My problem isn't really the high phosphat because I know where they come from : I dosed too much of reefroids for a month... I have now a GFO to lower the phosphat down but I don't know if my test are accurate or not and that's worrying me...

Thanks for your time :)

aquarium jardin.jpg
 
Hobbiest phosphate tests are not very accurate and I would guess this is why you are seeing a difference.
 
I agree that inaccuracy is the issue, not chemical interference.
Tthe gap between 1.2 and 0.4 is huge seems to be huge, don't you think ? Is it possible that ReefRoids and poly-booster from PolypLab may play a role in this issue ? When it comes to chemistry, I'm a real newbie so I'm sorry if my questions seems a bit dumb...
I read today the four-part article on this forum to improve the testing method, it was really very interesting !
 
Tthe gap between 1.2 and 0.4 is huge seems to be huge, don't you think ? Is it possible that ReefRoids and poly-booster from PolypLab may play a role in this issue ? When it comes to chemistry, I'm a real newbie so I'm sorry if my questions seems a bit dumb...
I read today the four-part article on this forum to improve the testing method, it was really very interesting !

Hobby kits are also sometimes VERY inaccurate. It's huge, and not a rare event.

No, it is not a chemistry interference issue.
 
Tthe gap between 1.2 and 0.4 is huge seems to be huge, don't you think ? Is it possible that ReefRoids and poly-booster from PolypLab may play a role in this issue ? When it comes to chemistry, I'm a real newbie so I'm sorry if my questions seems a bit dumb...
I read today the four-part article on this forum to improve the testing method, it was really very interesting !
The JBL indicates 1.2 ppm
Red Sea indicates > 1 ppm
Fish store machine (unknown) 0.4 ppm

Maybe the fish store machine is wrong.
 
The JBL indicates 1.2 ppm
Red Sea indicates > 1 ppm
Fish store machine (unknown) 0.4 ppm

Maybe the fish store machine is wrong.
I managed to find the fish store machine on the internet : http://waterlinkspintouch.com/spin-touch-ff.html
The weird thing is that my tank seems to be fine, I will test again next week and I won't give Roids in the meantime...
Thanks for your comments :)
 
I like that is uses a photometer to read the tests. I don't like that it works like the test strips with all the reagents on a pad.

Right now I'd go with this:


"All my corals are fine, I don't have algae (even not on the tank glass).."
 
I managed to find the fish store machine on the internet : http://waterlinkspintouch.com/spin-touch-ff.html
The weird thing is that my tank seems to be fine, I will test again next week and I won't give Roids in the meantime...
Thanks for your comments :)
Hey! The Spin Touch from LaMotte looks absolutely unbelievable!! 8 different tests at once from one water sample. Are you kidding me. I can’t believe the reefing community has been discussing this.

I need to dig deeper into accuracy and precision, but if this from LaMotte, I am guessing that I won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for pointing this out. It still could be wrong though or the test done incorrectly :)
 
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm from Belgium so please forgive my english and let me know if something I write isn't clear enough :)

I have a 36 gallons reeftank, I have the RedSea pro phosphat test kit and it's been three weeks I have really really high phosphate (more than 1ppm). All my corals are fine, I don't have algae (even not on the tank glass)... So today I went to my local fish store, the owner has a machine to test water. According to this machine my phosphat are 0.4 ppm... I was very surprised so I asked him to test my water with a classic JBL phosphat test, the result : 1.2 ppm.

So here is my question, is it possible that something modifies my test at home with RedSea Pro test kit ?

My problem isn't really the high phosphat because I know where they come from : I dosed too much of reefroids for a month... I have now a GFO to lower the phosphat down but I don't know if my test are accurate or not and that's worrying me...

Thanks for your time :)

aquarium jardin.jpg
G’day mate, I have used Red Sea p04 test kit for a year and thought it was accurate until I got a icp test. It wasn’t and I now use the Hanna phosphorus checker. I don’t know if it was a bad test but it was way out.
 
I use the Hanna ULR checker. It is pretty good.
I have learned, when the liquid reagent has been open and gets low, your tests will not be the same as with a fresh opened bottle.
I always test with a new bottle before the old one is finished just so I have some idea of what the differences will be.
If your corals are happy then all is good, no matter what are hobby test kits say.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top