Sorta Kinda Retired & thinking of Reefing

farmhand

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
16
Reaction score
60
Location
Kingsburg, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had planted and just fish tanks for a good while, and was thinking a reef tank would be interesting. I'm moving off the farm sometime in 2020, so I'm learning and collecting to be able to start the tank when we move. My philosophy in both farming and planted tanks has been, "grow the soil and the plants will take care of themselves." I'm not sure this works in Reefing. Every week I change my mind as to which size tank I should try, so I'm kinda hesitant to tell you I'm currently thinking of a 120 gallon 48x24x24. Actually, I'm having fun over analyzing everything.
 
Welcome to R2R!
tenor (1) (1).gif
 
WELCOME!!! Coral on the brain... We've all been there. The only real cure is diving headfirst. The hobby is definitely not set and forget. There is a lot of husbandry and nurturing of all aspects to get a successful reef going and maintained.
 
I've had planted and just fish tanks for a good while, and was thinking a reef tank would be interesting. I'm moving off the farm sometime in 2020, so I'm learning and collecting to be able to start the tank when we move. My philosophy in both farming and planted tanks has been, "grow the soil and the plants will take care of themselves." I'm not sure this works in Reefing. Every week I change my mind as to which size tank I should try, so I'm kinda hesitant to tell you I'm currently thinking of a 120 gallon 48x24x24. Actually, I'm having fun over analyzing everything.

Sounds like you have the perfect mindset before even starting reefing! Keep stable water parameters within good levels and everything will manage itself.
 
Welcome to R2R!!! This is a great place to do research as you hone your plan!
 
I've had planted and just fish tanks for a good while, and was thinking a reef tank would be interesting. I'm moving off the farm sometime in 2020, so I'm learning and collecting to be able to start the tank when we move. My philosophy in both farming and planted tanks has been, "grow the soil and the plants will take care of themselves." I'm not sure this works in Reefing. Every week I change my mind as to which size tank I should try, so I'm kinda hesitant to tell you I'm currently thinking of a 120 gallon 48x24x24. Actually, I'm having fun over analyzing everything.
Welcome!

The standard 120 is a great size, I think many people would do well to start with that size or at least in that range. Shoot, even really successful business owners in the industry say it’s the ideal size for a home tank. I second that opinion, it’s a really good tank size.
 
Welcome to team awesome.gif


Welcome to R2R! Your philosophy is a good one. It's kind of the same with a reef. Manage the environment and the inhabitants will respond. You have some time to research and ask questions, and with your background, I'm sure you'll do well.
 
Welcome :) my advice :) before buying anything ,,, go to the Bulk Reef Supply site ,,, they have a ton of videos that will help you get started ,, what works ,, what doesn't ,, what you need ,, what you don't ,, they are a vendor ,, but they test a lot of the equipment they sell ,, it would be time well spent ,, they have videos were they have set up tanks from the beginning :)
 
You do not want to be telling a bunch of reefers that you are trying to decide whether or not to start the hobby and what size tank to get. We will do everything in our power to convince you to try this addiction. We are worse than drug dealers. We will offer you used equipment, tell you where to get the best deals, and convince you to upgrade. I'm starting this all out by telling you that I love the 120 gal. It is a nice size and looks great in the home. I almost bought one myself a year ago. So jump on in... the water is a cozy 79 degrees. P.S. We love to help with any questions you might have. Welcome!
Beatles Welcome.gif
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top