Spectrapure capillary flow restrictor for vertex puratek not working properly...

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2016
Messages
34
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my RODI filters a couple of weeks ago, so I got a 0.2 micron zetasorb sediment filter, a 0.5 micron carbon block, one spectraplus 90 GPD 99% rejection rate membrane with a 90 GPD capillary flow restrictor, a maxcap and silicabuster DI resins.

So I'm a little bit confused because I've already cut the capillary flow restrictor to less than 2 inches and I'm still getting a 2:1 waste ratio.

Honestly I don't want to cut it a little bit more, cause I'm afraid that somehow it might affect the pressure.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the tap water is 164 TDS, and as soon as the unit starts working I get the "TDS creep" showing in my HM inline meter reading something like 50 TDS for a minute or two, then it will stabilize at 1-2 ppm after that. (before de DI)

So I'm not sure what to do... I'm still getting 80-100 psi with the booster pump, so i don't think it has anything to do with the pressure.

I would really appreciate any input guys..
 
Last edited:
Maybe I will have to make large water batches to try to avoid the TDS creep that will exhaust the DI prematurely.
 
I think that I'm gonna order a 3-Way Ball Valve with John Guest 1/4" Push Connect so I can flush the TDS creep to the drain before making RO/DI water.

At least that will help to extend the DI resin life.

I would appreciate any advice to fix the issue with the flow restrictor.
 
A DI bypass using the 3 way valve is what I use to combat TDS creep, it's simple and effective. As far as the capillary tube flow restrictor trimming, this video is what I used to help me figure it out.

 
Thanks man..

I already followed the instructions, so after I trimmed the capillary flow restrictor it looks a little shorter than 2 inches, but even with that I'm still getting the same 2:1 waste ratio..

I don't know what am I doing wrong.
 
I ordered the 3-way ball valve and a RO tube divider, so that way I will only have one single drain.

I'm still trying to troubleshoot the waste ratio. I would really appreciate any help.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top