Spidey's Red Sea 3XL 900 build

You made a comment earlier about the flow on the "split fuge" being lacking. I was hoping you would explain how the water does flow into that additional sump. I can see in the product pics that there are two bulkheads that connect the main sump to the split sump, but is that it? Does water only flow into that section if it wants to or does it have a normal flow pattern as water enters and exits the main sump?

I don't have a 900, but I'm considering drilling my 525 sump and doing the same thing by adding a 20 gallon cube in the dry section of my cabinet and moving all the gear that's in there to small external cabinet. So, I was hoping to learn from Red Sea's design (good or bad).
 
I don't have a 900, but I'm considering drilling my 525 sump and doing the same thing by adding a 20 gallon cube in the dry section of my cabinet and moving all the gear that's in there to small external cabinet. So, I was hoping to learn from Red Sea's design (good or bad).
Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I added an external 10g refugium to my 525xl by drilling through the stand and then fed it from the return pump and drained it into my sump. Might help achieve what you're going for without drilling glass.
 
You made a comment earlier about the flow on the "split fuge" being lacking. I was hoping you would explain how the water does flow into that additional sump. I can see in the product pics that there are two bulkheads that connect the main sump to the split sump, but is that it? Does water only flow into that section if it wants to or does it have a normal flow pattern as water enters and exits the main sump?

I don't have a 900, but I'm considering drilling my 525 sump and doing the same thing by adding a 20 gallon cube in the dry section of my cabinet and moving all the gear that's in there to small external cabinet. So, I was hoping to learn from Red Sea's design (good or bad).

By default the water flows in just freely with very little movement, or by the movement that is in the skimmer section. In our case we have a Cicce pump now pushing water from the skimmer section to the additional sump/refugium from the back bulkhead then the water goes into the UV sterilizer and media reactor into the refugium and flows out from the front bulkhead.
 
By default the water flows in just freely with very little movement, or by the movement that is in the skimmer section. In our case we have a Cicce pump now pushing water from the skimmer section to the additional sump/refugium from the back bulkhead then the water goes into the UV sterilizer and media reactor into the refugium and flows out from the front bulkhead.

Ahhh...gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.
 
They're completely custom, my LFS is the designer and builder of the drawer and the extra cabinet that was added to the side of the stand. I'll see if I can get Kevin from Nemos Reef to chime in.
 
Fun problem to have; I need to get more fish into this tank. I have 15 there right now (most small), but nitrates and phosphates are 0 and I feed heavily already.

Looking for GOOD suggestions, no lid on the tank yet, so no wrasses yet. The last fish added was the goby in May.

I'm wanting 2-3 tangs (Achilles is my dream fish) and a male for my Bellus Angel.
Current fish list:
- 4 Black Axil Chromis
- pair of Lyretail Anthias
- Bellus Angel (female)
- Foxface
- Mimic Lemon Peel Tang
- Hippo Tang
- 3 clowns
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Yellow Coris Wrasse

Filtration as seen in earlier posts: Red Sea 900 skimmer, SK-5000 rollermat, chaeto in the refugium, and Aqua UV 57W sterlizer. Dosing only alkalinity and calcium.
 
Thank you :) I had custom-built drawers made in the right side of the stand.
85009298_10220722965245248_540858986702831616_n.jpg

84325557_10220722964965241_3101468177331126272_n.jpg

Love this idea! Was it someone local who made them?
 
Fun problem to have; I need to get more fish into this tank. I have 15 there right now (most small), but nitrates and phosphates are 0 and I feed heavily already.

Looking for GOOD suggestions, no lid on the tank yet, so no wrasses yet. The last fish added was the goby in May.

I'm wanting 2-3 tangs (Achilles is my dream fish) and a male for my Bellus Angel.
Current fish list:
- 4 Black Axil Chromis
- pair of Lyretail Anthias
- Bellus Angel (female)
- Foxface
- Mimic Lemon Peel Tang
- Hippo Tang
- 3 clowns
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Yellow Coris Wrasse

Filtration as seen in earlier posts: Red Sea 900 skimmer, SK-5000 rollermat, chaeto in the refugium, and Aqua UV 57W sterlizer. Dosing only alkalinity and calcium.

I wish I had the knowledge to give you some info here. Can't wait to be able to come and check the tank out in person though! (I think I just invited myself over, FYI! ;Joyful)
 
:D Once we resume club meetings, I'm sure we'll do tank tours too !

I wish I had the knowledge to give you some info here. Can't wait to be able to come and check the tank out in person though! (I think I just invited myself over, FYI! ;Joyful)
 
It's worth it! We'll actually it's not because you'll just be handing your money to him ;Woot;Woot;Woot

What's new? I think he's fairly use to me handing him my money by now. lol At least, my hubby is use to it. lol
 
Additions to the tank, today I added a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang, a Orange Shoulder Tang, and a Blue Spot Rabbitfish. The Lemon Peel Mimic tried to attack the whitetail and whitetail wouldn’t have it. It pushes back and the Lemon Peel has a nice cut on the side. I haven’t seen it attempt again.

CC77E9E7-B6D7-420D-BAD6-6B0A27384A56.jpeg CD17867D-F9A1-4781-8319-67D7ECD37D59.jpeg CEA5B4E2-F4A8-4A17-AD4E-91BACDA149EA.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top