- Joined
- Jul 20, 2018
- Messages
- 974
- Reaction score
- 1,602
- What state or country do you live in
- Illinois
Hi there. In my new tank I am contemplating a spray bar return at the bottom of the tank. This tank will be a room divider, view able and accessible on three sides. The goal is a moderate to gentle flow - pushing detritus to the sides of the tank... where I can see it. The tank might have substrate or be bare bottom, and the estimated flow through the 1.5 inch pipe would be about 4 thousand gph. The tank is ten feet long. This idea was popular, I think, years ago, but fell out of favor.
1. siphon break. I would put that at or above the water line. I could valve it to adjust the relative flow on top versus bottom.
2. ugly. I plan to coat this in rocks with epoxy. Once covered with coralline, it should be hard to see. The aquascaping will hide it pretty well also. This will be plumbed like a peninsula tank, with all the ugly stuff on the left side.
3. clogging and critter intrusion. I am wondering what size holes to cut to prevent the thing from clogging - and how long I can expect it to last.
4. Hole spacing and other details... comments?
1. siphon break. I would put that at or above the water line. I could valve it to adjust the relative flow on top versus bottom.
2. ugly. I plan to coat this in rocks with epoxy. Once covered with coralline, it should be hard to see. The aquascaping will hide it pretty well also. This will be plumbed like a peninsula tank, with all the ugly stuff on the left side.
3. clogging and critter intrusion. I am wondering what size holes to cut to prevent the thing from clogging - and how long I can expect it to last.
4. Hole spacing and other details... comments?
Why this vs another solution? (knowing helps understand The Mission)

I have one bare-bottom tank on the system and one with sand. Heavily coral oriented....always low (or even zero) on fish....was the plan from Day 1.


