SPS coral before/after T5 Hybrid LED

Your tank is a solid argument for led only as are a few others here that I’ve seen. I believe MrV also is led only (radions) as well as some people showing off in the Reefi led thread.

I believe the key is simply having enough power to maintain adequate par at a height that is higher than usual.

For example: 1 AI prime, 1.5ft up over a 50g display isn’t going to cut it.
I think when people have issues with LEDs it’s because they don’t have enough of them. Bubba runs 10 XR15s and t5, Chaswood runs 2 AIs over a small cube, I run 4 48” Photon V2s, so the overlap that’s created helps tremendously. I don’t have shading issues, and none of these guys really do too.
 
I started out with two Chinese black boxes on my 120 and coral grew but didn’t pop, I then got hydra 26 led with 4 t5 hybrid light and the corals really colored up but didn’t grow well I just recently added 2 more t5 lights so 6 total and my corals are taking off. Calcium alk consumption is way high now. I have a tank start up pic and one of the tank today not really a comparison of lights just time and growth. I love the leds on blue before lights out making hybrid setups amazing

here is cheap led only lights
DF91353A-9303-45E1-948A-8A9B7BDD766E.jpeg


Here is current hybrid
31D57E72-44EE-47AF-A0D5-E2E2BDE406CF.jpeg

014D7FE6-8AA9-40ED-B58C-8972822BA22D.jpeg
 
I started out with two Chinese black boxes on my 120 and coral grew but didn’t pop, I then got hydra 26 led with 4 t5 hybrid light and the corals really colored up but didn’t grow well I just recently added 2 more t5 lights so 6 total and my corals are taking off. Calcium alk consumption is way high now. I have a tank start up pic and one of the tank today not really a comparison of lights just time and growth. I love the leds on blue before lights out making hybrid setups amazing

here is cheap led only lights
DF91353A-9303-45E1-948A-8A9B7BDD766E.jpeg


Here is current hybrid
31D57E72-44EE-47AF-A0D5-E2E2BDE406CF.jpeg

014D7FE6-8AA9-40ED-B58C-8972822BA22D.jpeg
I am thinking about making a move to go T5 Hybrid, but would I have to make a canopy for the fixture? or is the canopy more user preference?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top