Starting a new Aquascape in a different Aquarium

Spdjnky

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2017
Messages
546
Reaction score
161
Location
Schenectady
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have new reef aquarium that is being overrun by vermetid snails I would like to build A new Aquascape in another aquarium and let it go thru the cycling and what it needs to be ready and then transfer all my corals that are now on my rock work to the new aquascape and replace what I have.
Is this worth trying and as far as filtration and everything what would be the best way to go. I would like to hear any comments suggestions.
 
It can be done. I have a hard time imagining the snail infestation is bad enough to be worth the trouble.

Are all your corals removable from your existing rocks?
 
The vermetid snails keep multiplying to the point where I don't know what to do. I have trouble with what to do if I go in with my bone cutters and snip the tube off I lose it as far as seeing it so I can put a dab of super glue on it and there are just to many of them. My other thought is to get about 15 more bumblebee snails and then snipping a few tubes off at a time and placing the bumblebee snails right on the area and hope for the best. At the same time I read that I should use Coral Snow - Korallen-Zucht to clean my water a few times a week and help get rid of food for the snails.
But the new aquascape idea I would like to try anyway because to tell the truth I'm not really happy with mine. But what would be the best way to do it and that being said how can I make sure that I get all of the Vermetid snails out of my system before I switch? Because before I put the first corals in I took all the rocks out and thought I had got all the snails and for about a month it was looking good to the point where I thought I could keep them under control. Wrong
Right now my reef is only six months old and the corals are new and small so if I'm going to try this would be the time.

%nsEVPWLTDibEwy8hqDBug.jpg 3HSYINC3TfuAi2HumAmM6w.jpg fullsizeoutput_2c7c.jpeg
 
If you aren't happy with your current aquascape, now would be a good time to change it. However, look around at other builds and tanks and decide what you want as a new scape before you start!

I'm not crazy about my rockscape either. I'm 10 months in and I'm buying shelf rock to do an almost all new version. However, I do have lots of corals encrusted all over my rocks. The tank and rockscape is only 10 months old, but some of the rocks have been in previous tanks and are covered with corals!
 
If you were going to do what I am suggesting that I want to try.How would you go about it?
And then like I said How can I make sure That I don't have anymore Snails When I start new and I still don't know If they travel from sump to the main aquarium.
 
If you were going to do what I am suggesting that I want to try.How would you go about it?
And then like I said How can I make sure That I don't have anymore Snails When I start new and I still don't know If they travel from sump to the main aquarium.
If they are that big an issue, I'd pull everything from the tank and the sump/fuge. I'd wash the sand, use new rock or take old rock with all the corals removed and treat it with the intention of killing everything on it. I'd even clean the tank and sump with bleach and/or vinegar to make sure no snails sneak by.

It's not easy, but it's do-able. I had to completely tear down my 40G system, rebuild my stand, and set up a new 90g DT. The stand and plumbing took several weeks. All my rock and animals lived in various holding tanks all that time. I had some losses, but due to my mistakes, not due to the system. I added 20g of RO/DI water to a 40g tank thinking it was saltwater. All the sps corals and most of the fish and other inverts in that tank died. The zoas, some lps and a couple of fish survived the 24 hour experience before I found it and corrected it.
 
So that would mean starting a completely new Refugium because I won't know if there are any in the micro-algae. Now I am going to go with doing it the way Thein from Tidal Gardens did his.
Once I get the aquascape done and have it in SW how would u go about everything else in the setup and then what would I be looking at as far as a time frame.
Dam I'm not sure about everything. What did u think of my other plan with the Bumble snails, And there is the other option of using a Laser
 
So that would mean starting a completely new Refugium because I won't know if there are any in the micro-algae. Now I am going to go with doing it the way Thein from Tidal Gardens did his.
Once I get the aquascape done and have it in SW how would u go about everything else in the setup and then what would I be looking at as far as a time frame.
Dam I'm not sure about everything. What did u think of my other plan with the Bumble snails, And there is the other option of using a Laser
Looks like a complete restart may be ‘the only way to be sure’.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top