Starting New 125g In Wall Mixed Reef With Fish Load

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Messages
2,903
Reaction score
837
Location
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have been into fish & reef for a while, so we are no real dummie's, but we are still learning, still making mistakes, so we will be needing your thoughts and advise in setting up this new build. We've been buying the equipment, so I think I'm ready to finish the reef room. The tank will be under the flat screen TV in the living room with access behind it that was a bedroom, then a office and now it'll be the reef room. I've removed the carpet, layed down a roll of vinyl and sealed it all around the edges. (yes, I learned the hard way years ago)

The stand will be of 2x6's and 4x4's on each corner, all open without panels or doors. I don't know if I'll paint it or leave it a virgin. I had this way with our first 75g in wall reef in the 90's.

The second project will be a sump. Either a DIY 55g or a reef ready from one of a couple of manufactures.

One of the first questions will be a shallow 1"-2" sand bed or not at all. We really like the sand sifting gobies, crabs, shrimp and other symbotic relationship critters.

I have real bad health, so this is and will be, very slow. My updates may take days to weeks apart. Please ask any questions and your advise will be appreciated.

Kevin
 
Last edited:
In my opinion, the depth of your sandbed is not deep enough. I would go with 4-5” for a deep sand bed to cultivate enough anaerobic bacteria to break down nitrates into nitrogen gas. Excellent form of biological filtration! Not only that, you will have enough aragonite to provide many benthic creatures the ability to forage for food, retreat when threatened or stressed, plus many of these benthic animals require a deep sand bed to live and survive in the sand.
If you did want a shallow sand bed for aesthetic reasons, you may want to avoid some of these creatures. Crabs and shrimp don’t really care about a deep sand bed to survive UNLESS, you are looking at Pistol Shrimp. Jawfish, Sand Sifting Gobies, Sand Sifting Sea Stars, Sea Cucumbers, Conch and Engineer Gobies would also be classified as needing a deep sand bed to survive for the most part.
 
I didn't think deep sand beds are used today ?
Back in the 90's I did have a deep 5-6" sand bed in our in wall 75g reef, along with a 2" void of sand underneath the sand.
It was like the Joubert/Alf Jacob Nilsen nitrobacter system. It worked by getting the oxidation of inorganic nitrogen compounds underneath the substraight, and the bacteria within the gravel/sand to break down nitrogenwaste by aerobic nitrification.

I had it that way for almost 7 years, and could not read any amount of nitrates. The PH was always even, day and night.
I did however, built a counter current skimmer with homemade block of basswood air diffusers. The reaction chamber was 5' tall and 8" diameter. I used a piston pump in the basement running up and next to the skimmer. It worked very well.

I used the same method with our 40g breeder tank for clams and sand sifters.

Anyway, my point. If I do not used the deep bed, I'll just put in a 2" or so bed, enough for the critters to sift for pods etc, and I always feed them foods. I actually like had feeding them. Our crab will wave to me for food. lol.....very funny.
 
Last edited:
Lol, I’m probably old and old fashioned as I have never used any other benthic substrate arrangement than a DSB. Actually, I take that back... back in the 80’s the undergravel filters were the big thing! Ouch, what crap those were...
 
Yep,....me old. lol

I don't know if anyone use's his method with the advancment of todays tools, bottled bacteris, nitrification and
denitrification products.

And you know what, undergravel filters are still being used today. (or could be used) lol...but still works
 
I had the fish store drill our tank for the filtration you think best, which is two drains that look like a sewer grate in our basements. After more researching, I decided it may not surface skim the water enough and they may be noisy.
So, looking at many different designs, we went with Synergy Reef Shadow system. The shipping information was emailed to me in like,.. 2 minutes, and received the system very fast. Opening the box was like opening a x-mas gift (which actually is mine early) lol...

The quality is wonderful, and buying the diamond laced drill bit yesterday from them, I can't wait to drill the tank and set up their system !

Thank you Vanessa.
 
Ok, I'm back. (I think)

I had a second heart attack, so I've slowed down, but not out. (I think)

A lady rear ended me on our highway going 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, I was going 30 mph. It was her fault.
I've had two surgery's on my neck & shoulder so far. They removed eight nerves next to my spine.
I'm diabetic, so with my brain damage from age two, I have 24/7 headaches and electrical zaps in my head constantly, which raises my blood sugar. Pain raise's everybody's so we don't go in shock when injured. Now with this added pain, I can't keep my sugar down. It ranges from 200 -450 most of the time, even sleeping all night it's very high in the morning.

Anyway, it's been hard on my "spirit of life", but just the joy of setting up this new tank gets me excited !

I still don't know about the DSB ? Today there's several ways of controlling nitrates, like refugium's and algae scrubber's, so is the DSB a thing of the past ?

We both love sand sifters like the gobies, crabs etc. but, shrimps, crabs are out as we will definatly have a Clown Trigger, unless it's a cleaner shrimp.

So as the build goes on, anyone with more to day about sand beds, please post.

We have removed everything from the office to make it the "fish room" again. I removed the CARPET,....this time and laid down a roll of seamless vinyl flooring this time, and we even sealed off all the edge's !

I bought a perfect condition used "Zero Edge" sump, instead of a DIY 55g aquarium sump. I got a smoking deal on it, so I'm very happy with the price, how well it's built and works.

The next step is to install a inline GFCI outlet to cover all the electronics down the line, and a dedicated ground for it all, so to limit stray voltage. I will then use safe electrical strips where needed.

As always, everything is difficult so working on the tank and updating my thread is slow. Bare with my feefers.

Kevin
 
Ok, I'm back. (I think)

I had a second heart attack, so I've slowed down, but not out. (I think)

A lady rear ended me on our highway going 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, I was going 30 mph. It was her fault.
I've had two surgery's on my neck & shoulder so far. They removed eight nerves next to my spine.
I'm diabetic, so with my brain damage from age two, I have 24/7 headaches and electrical zaps in my head constantly, which raises my blood sugar. Pain raise's everybody's so we don't go in shock when injured. Now with this added pain, I can't keep my sugar down. It ranges from 200 -450 most of the time, even sleeping all night it's very high in the morning.

Anyway, it's been hard on my "spirit of life", but just the joy of setting up this new tank gets me excited !

I still don't know about the DSB ? Today there's several ways of controlling nitrates, like refugium's and algae scrubber's, so is the DSB a thing of the past ?

We both love sand sifters like the gobies, crabs etc. but, shrimps, crabs are out as we will definatly have a Clown Trigger, unless it's a cleaner shrimp.

So as the build goes on, anyone with more to day about sand beds, please post.

We have removed everything from the office to make it the "fish room" again. I removed the CARPET,....this time and laid down a roll of seamless vinyl flooring this time, and we even sealed off all the edge's !

I bought a perfect condition used "Zero Edge" sump, instead of a DIY 55g aquarium sump. I got a smoking deal on it, so I'm very happy with the price, how well it's built and works.

The next step is to install a inline GFCI outlet to cover all the electronics down the line, and a dedicated ground for it all, so to limit stray voltage. I will then use safe electrical strips where needed.

As always, everything is difficult so working on the tank and updating my thread is slow. Bare with my feefers.

Kevin
 
Wow, sorry to hear that your health has been making life difficult. Getting a beautiful reef up and running can definitely provide the relaxation needed to get health back on track.

Sand beds, honestly, are a matter of personal preference. If you have a 5”+ deep bed, you will end up with anaerobic breakdown and nitrate reduction to N2 gas. You’ll also end up with hydrogen sulfide, which you don’t want to release into the column water in any significant quantity.

If you go with a deep bed, you either need to leave it alone or stir it up frequently. To me, a 3” bed is ideal.
 
I agree with you on both points Gregg. Although aquaria can be a pain in the ss, it's also beautiful and rewarding !
We enjoy everything within reefing, from the start coraline covered rock (white for fish only) corals, fish, (equipment for us that enjoy it) to even feeding by hand. One aspect that is wonderful, is the symbiotic relations of clown fish & anemone's, fish with their shrimps, cleaner fish and shrimps to remove parasites, dead skin etc....... Love to watch sand sifters, especially jawfish creating tunnels for their home's.

It's unreal,...how God created so many ecosystems in the world, including beautiful reefs under the oceans.

Quite the artist !

I think I'll just have 2"-3" of sand. I can not,...have a bare bottom.
 
Last edited:
Ok, today's question boyz & Gal'z.

Heater's and a controller, the latter is a must ! (I don't have a Apex,....yet, I'll need to spend the $500 for even just the Apex EL on other needs,..bummer, I really want one) :(


I'm leaning towards the Finnex Titanium heater and their digital controller. They don't have any 600's, just the 300 500 @ 800, so is two 500's good for my 125g (+) sump and accessory's. I don't know how many total gallon's I will end up having, depend's on much rock, sand, sump, fuge, reactor/s etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Digit...locphy=9024694&hvtargid=pla-335404932604&th=1
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was hoping some of you guys would chat, help me with our build and follow. Now you've made me sad .
 
I can't comment on those heaters but I didn't want to leave you hanging like that. I'm using the 2 eheim jager 250w heaters in my 90 gal with 55 sump
 
Thank you for not letting hang. lol...

I have one Eheim Jager and is working fine. The Finnex is tempting, but haven't decided on a controller. Both their rod and controller is around $100, then I'll have to pick out 2nd heater. The biggest factor (besides quality and accuracy) is a ALARM. A loud one !
 
2x250w Jagers with Inkbird controller for my 125. No issues, keeps temp within .5 of 78. No experience with Finnex.
 
Two 250w does well in a 125g ? Are they on quite a bit ?
I'm looking at two 300w in my new 125g, is that a good way to go ?
 
Two 250w does well in a 125g ? Are they on quite a bit ?
I'm looking at two 300w in my new 125g, is that a good way to go ?
2-3w/gal is the standard. So 500 in 135g total volume is at the high end of that.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top