sticky plastic on Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Messages
9,366
Reaction score
21,076
Location
SW Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just given this fixture by a friend who got out of the hobby a few years ago. He never used it, the box and everything inside was still in original packaging and sealed bags. The fixture itself is extremely 'sticky' around the outside edge.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is there any way to remove the sticky feeling? I've tried wiping it with water, soap & water, an alcohol wipe... all to no effect!
 
Turns out, an internet search found that a baking soda and water paste rubbed on the sticky plastic took off the sticky surface.
 
You can use goo-gone, WD-40, etc. It was a poor materials design choice. That "soft texture" plastic was unstable and the "soft" coating turned to goo. It will continue to happen until that whole layer is removed.
 
It seems the soda ash paste I used took off the entire surface of the soft coating. We'll see if it lasts.

Thanks for the reply!
 
It seems the soda ash paste I used took off the entire surface of the soft coating. We'll see if it lasts.

Thanks for the reply!
any updates on this?
 
any updates on this?
It worked so well that I did this to my Reefbreeder Photon led remotes as well. About 2 months in and there is no sticky feeling at all.
 
It worked so well that I did this to my Reefbreeder Photon led remotes as well. About 2 months in and there is no sticky feeling at all.
appreciate the update. was it roughly a 50/50 mix of water and baking soda?
 
appreciate the update. was it roughly a 50/50 mix of water and baking soda?
Soda ash is washing soda, Sodium Carbonate.. Different stuff than baking soda.
Seem historically baking soda is used.
Or 70+ Isopropyl alcohol and 15 min of scrubbing..
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top