Stirring up detritus for SPS food.

Although I've not started keeping corals yet, this sort of information is priceless to me, really appreciate everyone sharing!
 
I built them. I used to supply them to Marine Depot but my acrylic manufacturer moved to China so I don't make them any more.
 
One must be careful stirring anything up. I use a canister filter used to vacuum out my aquariums. I also use a DE filter also to keep the water column clean when does this. Cleaning is not a bad thing you just need to be cautious when doing it. Thru the years I have seen so many people crash their tank after simple water changes and stirring up the sand bed and having done it my self. I had to learn to be very careful when doing tank maintenance going forward.

There is a nuance here that I feel worth sharing.

If blasting the sand has been your practise from the early months of your tank, it is a safe practise to continue. At every water change, I clamp a maxjet to the side with a soft silicone hose and blast ALL my sand -- even under the rocks as they are suspended on pylons -- until I cannot see in the tank. I then pump out 20% to the sewer line. Yes, many SPS slime up.

If this is NOT regularly practised, then I agree there is some risk in releasing some nasties trapped in anaerobic areas of the rock/sand. Careful vacuum removal is safer.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top