Stomped by this coral ID - wanna try your luck?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dkmoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
1,982
Location
Nyc
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted this a while ago - it was a rescue frag and I still cannot properly ID so not sure of my care was appropriate. It hasn't deteriorate more but didn't improve either.

Received it as "lobo", i thought it was scoly, then some research and prior posts suggested symphylia. Can't really be sure its any of them. See pics. About 2 inches in diameter. The single "branch" has 4 heads inside ( arranged 2 x 2) . The wall around the heads is very obvious as are the septa radiating out fron the middle. What makes this one hard is, unlike any of the other common corals where where you can clearly see the typical separate "polyp anatomy" of an outside ring of "puffy flesh", a flat inside area with the mouth, and the tentacles inbetween the two parts, in this one, i have never seen the outside puff/inside mouth separation - the entire flesh appear to be one smooth piece , and never seen any tentacles - even during peak light when the whole flesh seem to inflate, or at night when I feed and see a feeding response.

Day pic at peak expansion :
20210222_144713.jpg


Night time eating mysis, you can see 1 mouth completely open and eating the mysis (green lip), again no tentacles with feeding response

20210222_194056.jpg


The tentacles puzzle me - typically for other corals, even when polyps are severely retracted, you can kinda determine where you'd expect to see tentacles could come from, this one i really can't...Thoughts?
 
Could it be a lobophyllia?
 
Could it be a lobophyllia?
Thx, that was the initial guess, but I also have another orange colony that was doing really well, caring for this one the same methods was not remotely close in terms of improved health and growth. Plus, unlike the other one, no tentacles show up when I feed

This is what lead me to suspect its something else. Tried various combinations of light and flow and feeding schedule. nothing really seemed to be its sweet spot and thoughts maybe a correct ID can point to the right direction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

 
It looks like a sick Symphyllia to me, as many LPS will lose their tentacles when unhealthy or near death. They appreciate lower temps and frequent feeding, as you seem to be giving it. Good luck with it!
 
It looks like a sick Symphyllia to me, as many LPS will lose their tentacles when unhealthy or near death. They appreciate lower temps and frequent feeding, as you seem to be giving it. Good luck with it!
Thanks, it's been like this for like 6 - 9 months lol. I guess my tank generalparams stopped further deterioration the various light/flow combos didn't make it any better. I admit the current "low flow low light high feeding" method was only about a month. Will keep it up and see if anything changes.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top