Strange tubes of sand appear during night

8galdorm

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Messages
31
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What might this be caused by?
1380841622113.jpg
 
Sand monsters!

No seriously. They are worms that live in the sand. It's a sign of a healthy sand bed with lots of microfauna IMO.
 
Yea, I'm trying to reduce nutrients but I don't want to kill all of them and poison my tank since it has such a small water volume
 
The Chaetoplerid (tube worm) is great to have. I'd really do something about those Acoel (brown flatworms). They will become a plague.
 
Yea, I'm trying to reduce nutrients but I don't want to kill all of them and poison my tank since it has such a small water volume

Use some small airline tubing and siphon them out daily. Using some floss to filter out the worms and returning the water to the tank works great! Or else you will be reduced to using a chemical like Flatworm Exit.


Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
 
Last edited:
But won't it be impossible to get rid of all of them using the siphon method?
 
I wouldn't say impossible to anything in this hobby :) Keeping their numbers in check via siphoning and low nutrients can wipe them out. For plague infestations the best method is Flatworm Exit.
People who have poisoned their tanks from massive die off of Flatworm did so because they allowed them to remain in the tank for to long, period! I've used FWE twice with NO ill effects on my tank at all.


Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top