Stringy white or black moving creature...what is it and is it bad?

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
764
Reaction score
786
Location
Bradenton, Fl
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing these very thin tentacles that are usually on the rocks or substrate near the corals. They seem to be some sort of multi tentacle star fish like but they are not the ones that are harmless found under things. Here is a picture. I don’t think they are the digi hydroids since they don’t have the striations. I have a video but don’t know how to upload on the iPad from photos/videos. Its very difficult to film because it is so thin. This is with a white flashlight and a magnifying glass. It is in the center, a bit toward the top between the RFA and the green colored zoa. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance!
ade96db033d53fbdf12a49e51067046a.jpg
 
It's to hard to tell from the picture. Google spaghetti worm and see if any of the arms match. There are different types of spaghetti worms so make sure to look at more then one picture on google
 
It's to hard to tell from the picture. Google spaghetti worm and see if any of the arms match. There are different types of spaghetti worms so make sure to look at more then one picture on google
Thank you! I will do that now.
 
It's to hard to tell from the picture. Google spaghetti worm and see if any of the arms match. There are different types of spaghetti worms so make sure to look at more then one picture on google

Yes! You are correct...harmless spaghetti worms! Thank you! Whew.
 
I have one tank I looked at last night and I have tons of them in my rocks.
What is funny is the rock is mainly dead rock, I added only two small live rocks for some biodiversity. I also saw allot of little mini brittle stars all from two little small rocks.
 
it looks like there might be aiptasia as well, about one inch above in the photo.
 
it looks like there might be aiptasia as well, about one inch above in the photo.

LOL! You are correct! That is my one ongoing battle. I currently have about a half dozen to use Aptasia X on..I try not to use it often because it sometimes will kill an entire colony of zoas. In the past I have lost a rock that had 20 or so rastas that were doing great. Long story.
 
I understand, they can spread easily and wiping out other corals by trying to remove them is not fun. I have had luck with peppermint shrimp in the past. Good luck!
 
I understand, they can spread easily and wiping out other corals by trying to remove them is not fun. I have had luck with peppermint shrimp in the past. Good luck!
I had two pepermint shrimp, but they had no interest in helping me out! They eventually disappeared in the tank...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top