Success rate of large maxima clams

skr791346

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2018
Messages
240
Reaction score
87
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term success with these large maxima clams that are available FS occasionally? Are these maricultured or wild?
 
Following...
I just lost 2 out of 3 for no apparent reason:(
 
How large are we talking and you should always know the source of a clam before you buy it. I find that a lot of maricultured or wild clams come in pretty rough shape. One of my local fish stores brought in about 40 small ultra maxima clams. They kept the majority in their sps system that is actually quite nice. Over 6 months, nearly all (3-4) clams distributed to their other smaller display systems perished and I would guess that they lost 1 in every 4 of the others that didn't sell - can't say how the others they sold faired. Another shop brought in some ultra tahitian clams and they had a pretty dismal survival rate. I also read of a lot of trouble with clams from divers den - particularly regarding disease and parasites. Long story short, sourcing your clam is extremely important. If you can get a clam that has been kept in captivity that is the best, otherwise some aquaculture facilities do a really good job in raising their clams for captivity by ensuring the clams carry particular strains of zooxanthellae.
 
I have not had one success yet with those beautiful Maximas. The wild ones in the small islands reside in very shallow depths and cooler waters, as quoted from Pacific East Aquaculture, so I think that most people's tanks are not well suited for them.
 
I've always had good luck with "aquacultured" Maximas in the range of 2-4" but anything bigger and wild caught, not much luck. I'll hold off, I was thinking of trying one again and feeding it with phyto frequently but not sure if that's going to make a difference with these Tahitian maximas. Did PEA recommend any specific range(s) of PAR / temp they recommend for these maximas?
 
The cultured ones are in tide pools that are probably not even 6 feet deep at low tide. The temp of these in the south Pacific will be 78, 80 or more. Wild ones could be different with the temp, I dunno.

They used to do better when people had massive amount of daylight or 10K spectrum... they have gotten harder as lights have gotten weaker and dimmer. They would not even balk at 1500+ PAR.
 
I've had these 2 maxima's for almost 2 years one is around 4 inches long the other around 6 inches. They seem to be healthy and growing. I feed them light, fishpoop, and once a week some Kent phyto and reef roids.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
 
Last edited:
Bought my three 6 inch maxima clams a few months ago, doing well. Before that, I had two for 4 years before they randomly died after a move. I tried again immediately after and lost all 3.

I’m no expert, sorry I’m not more help other than anecdotally
 
I've had these 2 maxima's for almost 2 years one is around 4 inches long the other around 6 inches. They seem to be healthy and growing. I feed them light, fishpoop, and once a week some Kent phyto and reef roids.

Wow that clam on the right is incredible.
 
I've had these 2 maxima's for almost 2 years one is around 4 inches long the other around 6 inches. They seem to be healthy and growing. I feed them light, fishpoop, and once a week some Kent phyto and reef roids.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

Very nice! Did they start off small or did you get them while they were 4 / 6"? When you purchased them, were they labeled with any origin?
 
Very nice! Did they start off small or did you get them while they were 4 / 6"? When you purchased them, were they labeled with any origin?
They were smaller, they have both put on a couple inches. They were not labeled when I got them at my LFS.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top