Suggestion for sealing acrylic and pvc?

antnida2

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2018
Messages
39
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate reactor have a small leak where the PVC connected to the acrylic body. I was thinking of using a hacksaw to make a small grove then reseal that with Weldon 16. Will that be sufficient to mitigate the leak?
20200403_160755.jpg
 
My nitrate reactor have a small leak where the PVC connected to the acrylic body. I was thinking of using a hacksaw to make a small grove then reseal that with Weldon 16. Will that be sufficient to mitigate the leak?
20200403_160755.jpg
How do you know it’s pvc and not colored acrylic?? I don’t think those materials are commonly used in conjunction.
I would try acrylic solvent cement
 
You will need to clean all that white stuff off. Maybe use a dental pick to get it all. Use something like a weak alcohol on a cloth to clean it again. Then run a bead of 16 all the way around it. If it does not have much pressure you should be good. If there is too much pressure then you will need to do this from the inside.
"SUBSTRATE RECOMMENDATIONSWELD-ON 16 is especially formulated to bond acrylic plastic. It can also be used for bonding styrene,butyrate, PVC and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces"
 
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go ahead and clean off the outside adhesive and give it a try with Weldon 16 which is what I have on hand. I don't know 100% if the grey attachments is PVC just guessing since it look like the grey schedule 80 PVC. This unit was build 10 yrs ago by Midwest Aquatics which is no longer in business. The adhesive that the company used to bond these parts dried like a milky color vs clear like Weldon adhesive. Attached is a picture of the solvent at the base plate.

As for the the joint, I don't see any gap on the inside to add any adhesive to.
20200403_170036.jpg
20200403_164911.jpg
 
I think you will be fine. You just want to make sure the area you apply the 16 to is as clean as you can get it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top