Suggestions for lighting for 84” tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Eder

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2016
Messages
741
Reaction score
395
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I just upgraded to an 84x24x31 tank and I am looking for ideas for lighting. Thanks fellas!
 
Wife and I just upgraded to an 84x24x31 tank and I am looking for ideas for lighting. Thanks fellas!
What type of lighting are you looking for? If you want LED's I would go with the GHL Mitra 7206 lights or the new Orphek lights. If you are going the M/H T% route their are a lot of good options out their, the same goes for just the T5 lights, then there are the hybrid light systems, which combine two or three different types of lights in one system . The amount of money you are willing to spend and the type of system you are going to keep will play a big roll in your choice of lighting. Also the area of the country where you live will also play a roll, as some of the lighting systems will add a lot of warmth to the water and you may need a chiller, which can add a few dollars to your electric bill each month.
 
I should have specified. We’ve ran T5/kessils hybrid for some Time. I am a big fan of T5 but wouldn’t mind going all LED again really.

We have a 36” 10 bulb ati fixture and 2 kessil 360we right now. Obviously we need more. Budget $1,500-2000
 
What about two more kessils and two 3' aquatic life t5 / led hybrid fixtures? BRS rated then very highly. You'd need to sell your ATI.
 
I should have specified. We’ve ran T5/kessils hybrid for some Time. I am a big fan of T5 but wouldn’t mind going all LED again really.

We have a 36” 10 bulb ati fixture and 2 kessil 360we right now. Obviously we need more. Budget $1,500-2000
Since you already have the Kessil's, I would buy 2 to 4 more of the 360's. It all depends on the type of corals you want to keep.
 
I did give that some thought. I may just end up doing al LED again.

Understood. All LED certainly can be done. If you're going to have an SPS dominate tank with LED only you're going to probably need to spend more $$. You probably would want at least four Radion XR30w G4s on a 7' tank. Or the Mitras. From my experience, those kessil a360s don't put out a whole lot of par. They light and shimmer look great. You may want like 8 or more of those over the tank depending on what you keep in the tank. When I started putting acros in my tank I ended up selling my a360s.
 
Understood. All LED certainly can be done. If you're going to have an SPS dominate tank with LED only you're going to probably need to spend more $$. You probably would want at least four Radion XR30w G4s on a 7' tank. Or the Mitras. From my experience, those kessil a360s don't put out a whole lot of par. They light and shimmer look great. You may want like 8 or more of those over the tank depending on what you keep in the tank. When I started putting acros in my tank I ended up selling my a360s.
I thought that they were their new flagship lights.
 
Yeah. We definitely have SPS and will likely be an SPS dominant tank. Tell me more about the mitras.

What about some G3’s instead of G4’s?
 
Wife and I just upgraded to an 84x24x31 tank and I am looking for ideas for lighting. Thanks fellas!

Dude, ask her! :)

(Looking forward to seeing pictures of the upgrade.)
 
Yeah. We definitely have SPS and will likely be an SPS dominant tank. Tell me more about the mitras.

What about some G3’s instead of G4’s?
The Mitra's in my opinion are one of, if not the best LED light on the market, they use 72 LED's in 6 clusters with max output of 195 watts. They have a good light spread, 36" x 30" in my systems My sister has the Radions on her tank, and they are very good lights also, but I like the fact that the Mitra's use a parabolic reflector similar to MH's instead of lenses or diffusers to spread the light.
 
GHL makes great quality equipment. The customer service is amazing. I had questions about setting up my Profilux controller. I was hoping someone would return my emails. Marco told me to call him. Marco then spent a Sunday morning setting up my controller with me. Amazing.
 
Where’s the best place to buy GHL products?
 
I’ve got 5 Mitras 7206 over my 7’ tank and although I feel 4 would have done it I know now that I have coverage for any SPS collection I place under them. I am really happy with these lights.

ABEC65FA-2DDD-4150-B090-116DD13629A7.jpeg
 
I’ve got 5 Mitras 7206 over my 7’ tank and although I feel 4 would have done it I know now that I have coverage for any SPS collection I place under them. I am really happy with these lights.

ABEC65FA-2DDD-4150-B090-116DD13629A7.jpeg
Yes I really love these lights, and where did you get the fish sculpture above your tank?
 
Yes I really love these lights, and where did you get the fish sculpture above your tank?

I believe I googled “ look down fish sculpture” and ended up using a place called “ front gate”....
 
I believe I googled “ look down fish sculpture” and ended up using a place called “ front gate”....
Ok, thanks, my wife knows Front Gate well enough, thought maybe you got them at the Rain Barrel Artist Studio in Islamorada.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top