Suggestions for Lighting on my new 90 gallon?

Corgi2Reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
33
Location
Athens
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys! I've read and read on lighting until I really don't know which option to turn to. SO I'm looking for suggestions for my 90 gallon (48"x18"x24"), will eventually grow the softies and LPS corals with some basic SPS down the road when I have my act together! :grimacing-face:
I would love to see recommendations for a range of price points-what's the lowest cost best option you would comfortably go with v.s. what's the common/go to lighting options.
The main thing I am not looking to do is hang lights from the ceiling, as we are renting.

Thanks y'all!

20221002_195041.jpg
 
Hey Athens
How high from the ceiling is the tank?

never mind, finished reading you post
 
I don't know what budget lights you are referring to but here's two mid to upper range lights that are great there are several amazon cheap lights for around 200 if that's what your thinking. Iv had qmaven its a good light and water resistance have LPS with a few sps frags growing great. If I was to upgrade it would be pro but no need to. I'm sure you know radion and AI are know as higher end lights.


 
Two, Visparspectra 165w or Two Nicrew Hyreef 150w , 3 puck is the lowest cost option. 1st is to be hung, 2nd has arms.

Both are simple, but will grow anything.
83C62421-8B2A-491C-8872-D82A511C7689.jpeg
 
What features do you think you will like it to have?
Preferred and Max price points?
If I could find functional lights for the job around $400 is mostly what I'm seeing as the "budget" options from doing the research. I like the idea of controlling it from my phone but that's not a must have. I would like it to look clean without a lot of wires. Thanks!
 
If I could find functional lights for the job around $400 is mostly what I'm seeing as the "budget" options from doing the research. I like the idea of controlling it from my phone but that's not a must have. I would like it to look clean without a lot of wires. Thanks!
I am thinking either the noopsyches (dual pucks) or smatfarm leds. Or, you could go with orphek or3's or quanta
 
Classic City - Adam is as good source for ideas on affordable, coral growing lights
 
I would suggest picking up a used ATI 6 bulb T5 fixture, that will allow you to grow any coral you'd like. I recently purchased one for $250. I can send pictures of my hanging setup if you'd like. Its essentially aluminum bars bolted onto the side of my tank stand with a cross member that the light hangs from.
 
If I could find functional lights for the job around $400 is mostly what I'm seeing as the "budget" options from doing the research. I like the idea of controlling it from my phone but that's not a must have. I would like it to look clean without a lot of wires. Thanks!
You could get a couple AI Primes with flex arms for a little more than your budget and still be able to use their app to control from your phone. I haven’t personally used them (went with a radion when I set up my tank), but they seem to get good reviews for the most part and a lot of hobbyists have said they are one of the best “bang for your buck” lights.
 
You could get a couple AI Primes with flex arms for a little more than your budget and still be able to use their app to control from your phone. I haven’t personally used them (went with a radion when I set up my tank), but they seem to get good reviews for the most part and a lot of hobbyists have said they are one of the best “bang for your buck” lights.
Thanks!!
 
Hey Guys! I've read and read on lighting until I really don't know which option to turn to. SO I'm looking for suggestions for my 90 gallon (48"x18"x24"), will eventually grow the softies and LPS corals with some basic SPS down the road when I have my act together! :grimacing-face:
I would love to see recommendations for a range of price points-what's the lowest cost best option you would comfortably go with v.s. what's the common/go to lighting options.
The main thing I am not looking to do is hang lights from the ceiling, as we are renting.

Thanks y'all!

20221002_195041.jpg
For low price, I would go with the SMATFARM reef light on Amazon as it is cost efficient, and people believe it is just like the Kessil lights. Another great low price option is the a I Rea lights off of Amazon. I have the SMATFARM, but it was a close choice between the two for me.
 
For low price, I would go with the SMATFARM reef light on Amazon as it is cost efficient, and people believe it is just like the Kessil lights. Another great low price option is the a I Rea lights off of Amazon. I have the SMATFARM, but it was a close choice between the two for me.
Thanks! How many of the SMATFARM lights would you say I would need for this size tank?
 
Hello! size of tank rim? Take a look noopsyche K7 PRO III. All corals, full spectrum
bracket arm:
1665654792868.png

1665654665362.png
 
Hey Guys! I've read and read on lighting until I really don't know which option to turn to. SO I'm looking for suggestions for my 90 gallon (48"x18"x24"), will eventually grow the softies and LPS corals with some basic SPS down the road when I have my act together! :grimacing-face:
I would love to see recommendations for a range of price points-what's the lowest cost best option you would comfortably go with v.s. what's the common/go to lighting options.
The main thing I am not looking to do is hang lights from the ceiling, as we are renting.

Thanks y'all!

20221002_195041.jpg
Not sure where you are but I have your solution. 2 Vega led lights and a custom hood! $300 Bob , Cary, NC
 

Attachments

  • 84C78FF9-C3F1-471D-B58E-AEDBAA1B1A66.jpeg
    84C78FF9-C3F1-471D-B58E-AEDBAA1B1A66.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 46
  • 1BEA73B5-E64D-4A79-B1C3-EF600FD9504D.jpeg
    1BEA73B5-E64D-4A79-B1C3-EF600FD9504D.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 47
Hey Guys! I've read and read on lighting until I really don't know which option to turn to. SO I'm looking for suggestions for my 90 gallon (48"x18"x24"), will eventually grow the softies and LPS corals with some basic SPS down the road when I have my act together! :grimacing-face:
I would love to see recommendations for a range of price points-what's the lowest cost best option you would comfortably go with v.s. what's the common/go to lighting options.
The main thing I am not looking to do is hang lights from the ceiling, as we are renting.

Thanks y'all!
Do you have a cross brace?
How wide is the rim?

Some lights just don't fit well on wide rimmed tanks.
Easy enough to trim it though.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top