Sump question for new 120 build targeted towards SPS

Njdevils1220

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
413
Reaction score
163
Location
Tampa. FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am starting a new 120g reef build and I’ve reached an impasse with deciding my filtration method of choice. I am considering using a 34” synergy reef triton sump as it offers the largest refugium section of any sump in its length but I do not plan on triton testing or triton dosing. I would like a refugium as I plan to keep mandarins in this tank. My questions for those of you with SPS are as follows
- Is having a large Fuge on a SPS dominant tank beneficial or counter productive?
- Do you find the refugium competes with your corals for nutrients?
- Is giving up filter socks for a nice size refugium recommended?
Any other input would greatly be appreciated.
 
It is definitely beneficial. As long as you don’t overdo carbon dosing they should not compete for nutrients. I also suggest you run a reverse photoperiod to your display in order to mitigate nightly pH fluctuations caused by drops of O2 production from the zooxanthelae and other algae no longer photosynthesizing. Keep us updated :)
 
Yes, I planned to run the refugium light opposite of the display. I don’t find filter socks that useful other than polishing water which can be done other ways such as pads in the media rack which the sump still has which is why I’m considering this sump layout over traditional ones.
 
Refugiums are not good at bottoming out nitrate and phosphate like media or organic carbon can. They are usually very, very safe to keep nutrients low, but not too low.

Socks will not make a difference. The stuff that will feed your refugium will be dissolved and very small.
 
I've never used a fuge on any of my SPS tanks. I do use filter socks. I don't think a fuge would hurt if you have the room in your sump but it certainly isn't a necessity.
 
No it’s not a necessity. I am just in the process of buying my equipment and I’ve found that the triton sumps offers a much larger Fuge than traditional sock sumps do. So I’m considering cutting out the use of filter socks by going this route. I have no intention of doing triton testing or dosing though.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top