T5 and LED's canopy build for my 20gl high

slugwall

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
443
Reaction score
6
Location
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I ordered my new lighting for my 55gl, I stripped down some canopy lights and in the process started to build my own canopy for my 20gl high.
The LED's I am not sure what they are. LED's came from an electrician that was installing LED's for coolers at one of the sites and I was talking with him about Saltwater tanks. He grew up with Saltwater tanks in his house as a kid, so one thing lead to another and he gave me 6 LED strips to play with.

So here is what I did last night there are 42 LED's per strip... I will check the strip tonight and find a part number.
2 of the T5 Bulbs will be swapped out with Actinic Bulbs soon...
Wiring is not completed yet.
IMG_4087.jpg
 
thats a nice fixture. Im looking to add some LEDs to my t5 too for my 30g tall. what kind of mixture do you have in the leds?
 
Was a good weekend for some more work on the DIY lights

Here are some pics of the lights...

IMG_0746.jpg

Putting everything together
IMG_0744.jpg

Here is the lighting leds make and model numbers... I don't know what to look for except that all this was free.
IMG_0760.jpg

Here is the controller board for the LED
IMG_0765.jpg

I was soldering and testing
IMG_0766.jpg

Looking good so far!
 
Testing everything...

IMG_0768.jpg

the other side of the box
IMG_0769.jpg

Adding the ballast and the controller
IMG_0771.jpg

creating the wiring highway
IMG_0772.jpg

Looking great so far
IMG_0774.jpg
 
I will post more pics once I am done with the wood putty and stain.
IMG_0775.jpg


IMG_0776.jpg
 
Lighting finished and here is what it look like with full lighting:
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
 
This is my favorite lighting so far and almost everything was free... the T-5 bulbs I had to buy. Some of the wires came from an old PC power supply.

Let me know what you think cause this is my first LED/T-5 setup.

Thanks
 
Wow well done!
 
Looks great. IMO with the amount of white Leds you are using Id just use all actinic t5s if you arent already
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top