Taking the HOB filter off my tank tomorrow?

I run a HOB on my 20 gallon frag tank and it's my cleanest tank haha. I run Chemi pure blue in my HOB that's it. And I have a half a bottle with filter floss stuck to a power head for mechanical filtration. I just squeeze out the sponge every water change.
6ec58c305a0763e81b2df0bf2183f961.jpg
3a1c1096d4102fed1c639d633e015d4c.jpg
 
I run a HOB on my 20 gallon frag tank and it's my cleanest tank haha. I run Chemi pure blue in my HOB that's it. And I have a half a bottle with filter floss stuck to a power head for mechanical filtration. I just squeeze out the sponge every water change.
6ec58c305a0763e81b2df0bf2183f961.jpg
3a1c1096d4102fed1c639d633e015d4c.jpg
 
HOB filters are not junk, it's just how you utilize them and what you put in them... It is also important to understand the water flow inside the filter and make sure it's diverted and flows efficiently through all your media, this is really what makes the difference between good and junk.

+1 - HOB F's are absolutely efficient if utilized properly.

... And in regards to HOB filters, its all in how they are being utilized. Some modify aqua clears into HOB Refugiums, it's really how creative you can get. I don't think you'll need much more flow unless you want to pick up a weaker powerhead to place on the adjacent side or something...Keep it simple.

Couldn't have said it better [emoji108]

I run a HOB on my 20 gallon frag tank and it's my cleanest tank haha...I have a half a bottle with filter floss stuck to a power head for mechanical filtration. I just squeeze out the sponge every water change

HOB's and pre-filter sponges do so well in keeping water clean and clear when properly and repetitively maintained.
20L is our original system - going on three years.
 
It's interesting.. many people keep bashing on HOB's (its my first tank ever 3 months in, so I have no true experience to talk on), but the more and more I read, people are having crashes due to their 'full' systems
Pump malfunction, water overflow, etc...

Ya my HOB's aren't the prettiest seeing a 'pipe' stick into the tank (tops are hidden by the canopy), but I'm sure coral will hide that in no time, and in case a power out, I don't have to worry about water leaking everywhere =)
Plus they get the job done, and flow water into the tank. They even help break up the surface to help the lights have that 'shimmer' effect hahaha
 
My c4 hob is on my 45 gallon. But i have the option of a 3 foot sump its sitting underneath ready to go but just wanted to see how the c4 went.
8d117c3d4e074abc04058f137b248f0b.jpg
 
I'm so mixed!!! Is there any affordable skimmers for nanos? My plan is to buy a 55gal over the summer since I'm loving this little one, and keep my 10gal as my QT. If I were to buy a skimmer would that highly reduce the water change maintenance?
Reef Octopus BH2000 or 1000. Depends on how stocked your tank is. I have 6 fish in a 40B with a BH1000. Does a great job!
 
FLUVAL C4 HOB, Reef Octopus BH1000, Jebao SW-4 wave maker.
Sponge, a cut block of Marine Pure where the carbon used to be, Cnodes in the wet/dry. After a week water is Ammonia 0, Nitrates 2-5, Nitrites 0. 6 fish heavily fed 3x a day. 9g water changes. 42lbs of LR. Easy to clean!
 
Tanks look good guys! I kept the HOB for flow but added some carbon media and cut my own filter, so far pretty good and water levels are bueno!
 
Tanks look good guys! I kept the HOB for flow but added some carbon media and cut my own filter, so far pretty good and water levels are bueno!
Ahh the ole carbon filter. Here is the thing I figured out. Those don't last long at all 2 days to a week the most. Here is how you figure it out. Ask anyone who has a carbon reactor. When do they change their carbon. They will say every week. Now think about this. They have about 500x more carbon than what you have in that bag or filter slide cartridge. Pick yourself up a bottle of puregin. Get a bag that can hold super fine particles. Like a cross stitching. This is great for ammonia and nitrates. You pull it out every 6 months! Make sure it is a little loose in the bag so it tumbles. You can recharge it by bleaching it, but just spend the extra $20 and get a whole new bottle. It works like new and you don't have to mess with bleach or worry about leeching bleach in your tank. Get a block of Marine Pure and get a bread cutting knife. Cute block that will fit the canister. You just upped your Cnodes filtration by x4 because of the porosity and the Cnodes can only hold nitrites to help your beneficial bacteria to help process out ammonia into nitrates. Now what do you have that gets your nitrates out. Only water changes and your anaerobic bacteria that is in your LC(Live Rock). Put that Marine Pure in your filter and the porosity can harbor anaerobic bacteria to turn your nitrates into a gas form and finish off the cycle of the NO² before having to go back in your tank. So at the end of the week before a water change you won't be at 10ppm. You will be at 2ppm. A healthier tank and less worries. I cut a block for this fluval 30 and laid it down horizontal. I cut one for my fluval C4. I stuck one in the carbon bag holder slot vertically.

IMG_20170319_130054.jpg
 
Ahh the ole carbon filter. Here is the thing I figured out. Those don't last long at all 2 days to a week the most. Here is how you figure it out. Ask anyone who has a carbon reactor. When do they change their carbon. They will say every week. Now think about this. They have about 500x more carbon than what you have in that bag or filter slide cartridge. Pick yourself up a bottle of puregin. Get a bag that can hold super fine particles. Like a cross stitching. This is great for ammonia and nitrates. You pull it out every 6 months! Make sure it is a little loose in the bag so it tumbles. You can recharge it by bleaching it, but just spend the extra $20 and get a whole new bottle. It works like new and you don't have to mess with bleach or worry about leeching bleach in your tank. Get a block of Marine Pure and get a bread cutting knife. Cute block that will fit the canister. You just upped your Cnodes filtration by x4 because of the porosity and the Cnodes can only hold nitrites to help your beneficial bacteria to help process out ammonia into nitrates. Now what do you have that gets your nitrates out. Only water changes and your anaerobic bacteria that is in your LC(Live Rock). Put that Marine Pure in your filter and the porosity can harbor anaerobic bacteria to turn your nitrates into a gas form and finish off the cycle of the NO² before having to go back in your tank. So at the end of the week before a water change you won't be at 10ppm. You will be at 2ppm. A healthier tank and less worries. I cut a block for this fluval 30 and laid it down horizontal. I cut one for my fluval C4. I stuck one in the carbon bag holder slot vertically.

IMG_20170319_130054.jpg
hell yea thanks for the great info!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top