Talk me out of UV

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,481
Reaction score
2,585
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had a dino outbreak which turned out to be a quite impressive colony of rhodomonas plankton. Good for me, but I had already purchased a 57 watt aqua UV sterilizer on ebay. I’m considering just setting it up and running it for the purported water clarity benefits. Other option is to turn around and re-sell it.

I have a 9 year old 120g mixed reef and have never had a fish disease. The UV would really only be for added water clarity and because I can’t return it…
 
I run 2 of those on my return for my 180g reef. I wouldnt run without them tbh. I dont have it as a super fast flow at about 650 gph.
 
I personally have always ran a UV on my tanks 24/7. I haven’t had any issues in the past (I’ve been out of the hobby for 15 years but I’m starting a 90 gallon build.) I had an ick issue and put the UV on and didn’t have any ick issues for the next 2 years. Moving forward I plan on having a UV online as soon as my tank cycles.
 
My water looked better when I turned the UV off, and my sand has never looked cleaner.

If I were to run a Uv again it would only be for dinos and only at night…keep incase you need it unless you can get back what you paid.
 
I personally never wanted to use one since I did not have apparent disease issues and was organic carbon dosing. I did not want to grow bacteria to feed filter feeders just to have them killed in a UV.
 
I thought I had a dino outbreak which turned out to be a quite impressive colony of rhodomonas plankton. Good for me, but I had already purchased a 57 watt aqua UV sterilizer on ebay. I’m considering just setting it up and running it for the purported water clarity benefits. Other option is to turn around and re-sell it.

I have a 9 year old 120g mixed reef and have never had a fish disease. The UV would really only be for added water clarity and because I can’t return it…
I am thinking of getting a small one for my QT. I wouldn't add any to my display tank though. I have tons of pods and I''d like to keep it that way. :)
 
I’ve read they don’t really kill pods, but that is a concern of mine too.
I believe, for most things a UV doesn’t "kill" it just sterilizes. So you would have to continue to add pods or have it plumbed in a way (separate fuge for the pods).
Personally I do not run a UV, but I have a manifold on all my tanks that I could hook one up just in case.
If I had fowler tanks, I would where biome is less important.
Keeping a healthy biome is why I do not run a UV.
 
I personally never wanted to use one since I did not have apparent disease issues and was organic carbon dosing. I did not want to grow bacteria to feed filter feeders just to have them killed in a UV.
I’ve always ran a UV from the display back to the display not running it through my sump for this reason.
 
I thought I had a dino outbreak which turned out to be a quite impressive colony of rhodomonas plankton. Good for me, but I had already purchased a 57 watt aqua UV sterilizer on ebay. I’m considering just setting it up and running it for the purported water clarity benefits. Other option is to turn around and re-sell it.

I have a 9 year old 120g mixed reef and have never had a fish disease. The UV would really only be for added water clarity and because I can’t return it…
It will sterilize both good and bad algae running through it lowering the population of both.

Can’t see how that’s helpful.

I use only when I target something specific and just until that is corrected.
 
I’ve worked on UV Lights in the HVAC Trade since the 80’s and since the 90’s on Pool Water in Nantatoriums. Not only do I have the Sanuvox on my Central AC Return, but I run Turbotwist on my 65 and 120 gallon Aquariums. Wouldn’t do with out any of them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top