Tang for my 43 gallon tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmoney7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

jmoney7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2023
Messages
308
Reaction score
134
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a GHA problem and I’ve tried many things to curb it but I’ve talked to a lot of people and they said that their success of not having gha was a lot because they had tangs in their tank. I know the tang police probably will not approve but I’m genuinely wondering if I could get a Tomini tang I’ve seen many YouTube videos with tomini and even yellow tangs in tanks similar to my size. I think yellow is a definite no go I would prob think more tomini. Let me know what y’all think? I would love to hear anyone out just be respectful.
 
Yellow or tomini should be ok, definitely not more than one tang though. Tomini is gonna be more cost effective.

However, if it’s just for algae control, you should really look at your nutrient export and add some snails (I recommend trochus). My algae turf scrubber doesn’t allow much of any algae to grow in my display whatsoever:

IMG_4982.jpeg
 
I’m having a GHA problem and I’ve tried many things to curb it but I’ve talked to a lot of people and they said that their success of not having gha was a lot because they had tangs in their tank. I know the tang police probably will not approve but I’m genuinely wondering if I could get a Tomini tang I’ve seen many YouTube videos with tomini and even yellow tangs in tanks similar to my size. I think yellow is a definite no go I would prob think more tomini. Let me know what y’all think? I would love to hear anyone out just be respectful.
No tang should go in a tank that small! Please dont unless its for QT or extremely short Term. Maybe look into a lawnmower blenny, those are awesome at algae and appropriate for your tank size
 
I have a 32 gallon biocube that serves as a hospital tank or QT. I had to put my first Hippo tang in for treatment. He was so cramped and stressed and not doing well. He was only in there for a week to two weeks. Lawnmowers are super cool too! Just make sure you have a lid with it being a blenny and all lol
 
No tang should go in a tank that small! Please dont unless its for QT or extremely short Term. Maybe look into a lawnmower blenny, those are awesome at algae and appropriate for your tank size
I’ve heard lawnmower Blennys don’t really touch gha. I’ve also thought ab getting a smaller one and then trading it in when it gets to big.
 
I have a 32 gallon biocube that serves as a hospital tank or QT. I had to put my first Hippo tang in for treatment. He was so cramped and stressed and not doing well. He was only in there for a week to two weeks. Lawnmowers are super cool too! Just make sure you have a lid with it being a blenny and all lol
Hippo tangs are quite big no? Tomini gangs are significantly smaller species of tang. As well as a 32 is also 10 gallons smaller than what I have and it’s a 43 with a 11 gallon sump.
 
I have absolutely considered lawnmower blenny however I’ve just heard a lot of people say they don’t actually eat much hair algae.
 
Hippo tangs are quite big no? Tomini gangs are significantly smaller species of tang. As well as a 32 is also 10 gallons smaller than what I have and it’s a 43 with a 11 gallon sump.
Yes, hence why I said it was in QT. I was telling you why I wouldnt put a tang in that tank at all. But its your tank. They are so active. My hippo is in a 6 foot long tank and he loves the space he has/ will also love it even more when I upgrade to the 300 gallon I was looking at!
 
I have absolutely considered lawnmower blenny however I’ve just heard a lot of people say they don’t actually eat much hair algae.
Ive had a couple, they always did for me! Kept my rocks clean. Also you could add an urchin of some kind? To be honest none of my tangs really pick at the rocks. They only eat the nori from the nori sheets and all the algae in the frozen blend I get them
 
Just going to put this out thete and I've not had personal experience with them but I have started looking into mollies for algae control. I've heard they will eat algae so that might be another option to think about.
 
Ive had a couple, they always did for me! Kept my rocks clean. Also you could add an urchin of some kind? To be honest none of my tangs really pick at the rocks. They only eat the nori from the nori sheets and all the algae in the frozen blend I get them
Yeah but what is you did not feed much nori and you have algae in your tank? Why would they eat gha if they get fed delicious nori. Obviously makes sense to supplement nori if they have picked through most of the algae but if you got a lot wouldn’t they prob pick at the rocks with a bunch of algae?
 
Just going to put this out thete and I've not had personal experience with them but I have started looking into mollies for algae control. I've heard they will eat algae so that might be another option to think about.
My mollies dont… I got them for that reason and they dont seem to like it
 
I’m having a GHA problem and I’ve tried many things to curb it but I’ve talked to a lot of people and they said that their success of not having gha was a lot because they had tangs in their tank. I know the tang police probably will not approve but I’m genuinely wondering if I could get a Tomini tang I’ve seen many YouTube videos with tomini and even yellow tangs in tanks similar to my size. I think yellow is a definite no go I would prob think more tomini. Let me know what y’all think? I would love to hear anyone out just be respectful.
I've got 8 tanks, and 1 of my 40g just so happens to have a sailfin, tomini and hippo tang in it! There all about the size of a half dollar. Been that way for about 5 months, no aggression or territory problems also zero algae problems! But when they're a little bigger like all fish, they will go into the big boy tank. No issue with small tang go for it.
 
Yeah but what is you did not feed much nori and you have algae in your tank? Why would they eat gha if they get fed delicious nori. Obviously makes sense to supplement nori if they have picked through most of the algae but if you got a lot wouldn’t they prob pick at the rocks with a bunch of algae?
Tried that in the beginning and they still didnt eat it. My bristle-tooth does pick here and there. Just my experience with them! When looking it up, they eat algae bit dont care for hair algae specifically :)
 
As recommended above, a lawnmower Blenny is a better fit here. I have a 110g 5ft display with a yellow rang, whitetail Bristletooth tank, and lawnmower Blenny. The lawnmower Blenny is a workhorse and after only 3 days its belly was huge and bulging from all the algae it consumed.

Best removal for GHA is human being CUC. Remove what you can and then let your fish and inverts keep the new growth under control.
 
Tried that in the beginning and they still didnt eat it. My bristle-tooth does pick here and there. Just my experience with them! When looking it up, they eat algae bit dont care for hair algae specifically :)
Ahhhhh I see well thank you for your advice. I will definitely do more research before making a firm decision. I am a fisherman at heart and huge conservationist and I would absolutely not want to put any animal into something that they would be unhappy in and again I did say if I felt like it was getting to a point of outgrowing my tank I would rehome it.
 
As recommended above, a lawnmower Blenny is a better fit here. I have a 110g 5ft display with a yellow rang, whitetail Bristletooth tank, and lawnmower Blenny. The lawnmower Blenny is a workhorse and after only 3 days its belly was huge and bulging from all the algae it consumed.

Best removal for GHA is human being CUC. Remove what you can and then let your fish and inverts keep the new growth under control.
I’ve been trying that for quite some time and it’s been starting to show success but I’m starting to be more convinced of the lawnmower I’ve just seen so many threads saying lawnmower blennys don’t really touch it.
 
I’ve been trying that for quite some time and it’s been starting to show success but I’m starting to be more convinced of the lawnmower I’ve just seen so many threads saying lawnmower blennys don’t really touch it.
After my lawnmower Blenny joined the party I no longer have to scrape the rock every every water change. I am at a point now where I fear my CUC may starve due to the lack of algae available! They have been feasting on massive algae growth for months but I have finally reached a point where a a balance has been reached---at least temporality. I just slowly added snails, emerald crabs, urchins and herbivore fish over time + manual removal. I have zero doubt you will get there soon!
 
After my lawnmower Blenny joined the party I no longer have to scrape the rock every every water change. I am at a point now where I fear my CUC may starve due to the lack of algae available! They have been feasting on massive algae growth for months but I have finally reached a point where a a balance has been reached---at least temporality. I just slowly added snails, emerald crabs, urchins and herbivore fish over time + manual removal. I have zero doubt you will get there soon!
Ok well now I’m starting to feel like I’m heavily weighing adding a lawnmower blenny instead of tang. I’ve just heard so many negative things ab lawnmower blennys not actually eating the algae.
 
Ok well now I’m starting to feel like I’m heavily weighing adding a lawnmower blenny instead of tang. I’ve just heard so many negative things ab lawnmower blennys not actually eating the algae.
I was also very anti-lawnmower Blenny since I did not like the way they looked and thought tangs alone could do the job (which they can in sufficient number). I decided to not add any more tangs (at least for now) since they grow large and I prefer getting multiple smaller fish va. 1 large fish. After adding the lawnmower Blenny last month it has become one of my favorite fish and helped me reach algae growth breakeven where no more manual removal is needed. Great personality and fun to watch since it is fearless and very active. It does not bother other fish so is great if you are looking for a peaceful tank mate!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top