Tang in qt not doing good

coweyes298

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
394
Reaction score
173
Location
Los Angeles, Diamond Bar, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qt has been running 30 days coppersafe above 2.2 ppm for 30 days, lowered copper to 0.2 ish ppm at day 30 and following 3 rounds of prazipro 8 days apart with 20% water change in between. I have a small size tomini tang, pair of firefish, Lubbock wrasse in this qt. Qt is seeded with seachen matrix from display inside hang on back filter and a powerhead.
I lost a carpenter wrasse at the end of 2nd prazipro treat and don't have clue of the cause. Since yesterday the tomini was not coming out to eat at all and this morning he is swimming upside down with lots of skin discoloration. He passed away hour later so I pulled him out. Photo attached.
There's skin patch discoloration. Is this bacteria infection? I never measure ammonia since this qt has been running for 2 months without issue. Totally devastating at this point....and I don't know when or what to do for the remaining firefish & wrasse?

1729783985524.jpg 1729783984532.jpg 1729783980961.jpg 20241024_051712.jpg
 
I never measure ammonia since this qt has been running for 2 months without issue
Well fish are dying so I would not say that is without issue. I no longer QT for reasons like too many fish dying. When I did qt I always monitor ammonia.
 
The qt has been running 30 days coppersafe above 2.2 ppm for 30 days, lowered copper to 0.2 ish ppm at day 30 and following 3 rounds of prazipro 8 days apart with 20% water change in between. I have a small size tomini tang, pair of firefish, Lubbock wrasse in this qt. Qt is seeded with seachen matrix from display inside hang on back filter and a powerhead.
I lost a carpenter wrasse at the end of 2nd prazipro treat and don't have clue of the cause. Since yesterday the tomini was not coming out to eat at all and this morning he is swimming upside down with lots of skin discoloration. He passed away hour later so I pulled him out. Photo attached.
There's skin patch discoloration. Is this bacteria infection? I never measure ammonia since this qt has been running for 2 months without issue. Totally devastating at this point....and I don't know when or what to do for the remaining firefish & wrasse?

1729783985524.jpg 1729783984532.jpg 1729783980961.jpg 20241024_051712.jpg
This fish appears to be mauled from aggression and hard to determine cause with a dead carcass.
Was fish eating and breathing normal prior to this?
The patchy area is possible bacterial but also blemishes like this when a fish perishes.
How do other fish look ?
 
Never observed aggression within 2 months. Tomino is eating and breathing normally till this Monday/Tuesday. Dhe didn't come out from pvc yesterday.
Other fish including firefish pair and Lubbock wrasse are still out and about, no sign of disease as of what I can tell.
I have qt several rounds of fish with either ttm or copper/prazi before and my current display is parasite free for 7 years. No way I would skip qt for new fish at this point. But I have bad outcome from qt this round tho...
 
The qt has been running 30 days coppersafe above 2.2 ppm for 30 days, lowered copper to 0.2 ish ppm at day 30 and following 3 rounds of prazipro 8 days apart with 20% water change in between. I have a small size tomini tang, pair of firefish, Lubbock wrasse in this qt. Qt is seeded with seachen matrix from display inside hang on back filter and a powerhead.
I lost a carpenter wrasse at the end of 2nd prazipro treat and don't have clue of the cause. Since yesterday the tomini was not coming out to eat at all and this morning he is swimming upside down with lots of skin discoloration. He passed away hour later so I pulled him out. Photo attached.
There's skin patch discoloration. Is this bacteria infection? I never measure ammonia since this qt has been running for 2 months without issue. Totally devastating at this point....and I don't know when or what to do for the remaining firefish & wrasse?

1729783985524.jpg 1729783984532.jpg 1729783980961.jpg 20241024_051712.jpg
I didn't see the size of tank.
You started with 4 fish, and now have 2. Correct?

How long qt setup?
 
I didn't see the size of tank.
You started with 4 fish, and now have 2. Correct?

How long qt setup?
30 gallon with tidal 75 HOB. Qt setup with seeded seachen matrix from dt. Qt is running for 2 months till today. I have 5 fish in qt when started, now down to 3. Lost carpenter wrasse after 2nd round of prazipro. Lost tomini today, at post 3 rd proazipro.
 
30 gallon with tidal 75 HOB. Qt setup with seeded seachen matrix from dt. Qt is running for 2 months till today. I have 5 fish in qt when started, now down to 3. Lost carpenter wrasse after 2nd round of prazipro. Lost tomini today, at post 3 rd proazipro.
It sounds like you ran the quarantine correctly.

How do the remaining three fish look? Any signs of issues with them? What 3 fish are they?
 
It sounds like you ran the quarantine correctly.

How do the remaining three fish look? Any signs of issues with them? What 3 fish are they?
Remaining fish are : firefish pair, Lubbock wrasse.
It sounds like you ran the quarantine correctly.

How do the remaining three fish look? Any signs of issues with them? What 3 fish are they?
My other fish are still out and active, no scratching or any sign for parasite.
Remaining fish are : pair of firefish, lubbock wrasse.
@Jay Hemdal what would you advise for the game plan moving forward? I can do 2 or more weeks of observation before making decisions.
 
Remaining fish are : firefish pair, Lubbock wrasse.

My other fish are still out and active, no scratching or any sign for parasite.
Remaining fish are : pair of firefish, lubbock wrasse.
@Jay Hemdal what would you advise for the game plan moving forward? I can do 2 or more weeks of observation before making decisions.
I always wait a minimum of 14 days after an unexplained fish loss before moving fish into or out of the same tank…..
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top