Tang won't eat his veggies

SteveG_inDC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
383
Reaction score
546
Location
Washington, DC
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I get a yellow tang that's more stubborn than a toddler? This is a good-sized fish (3-4") that was rescued from a tank where it was bullied (and lost part of its dorsal fin, which is all healed now). I'm told it previously ate nori but will not touch it or approach it now.

1615590588746.png

I tried a clip, a piece of live rock, and a PVC fitting. I've tried soaking in garlic and selcon. I've also tried lettuce.

I've never seen him nip at algae on rock or glass or anywhere. He's pretty shy but does come out and join the frenzy when I feed frozen or hatchery diet mini-pellets. There are no other tangs or angels, so maybe I need another fish to model herbivore behavior, but this is sort of ridiculous. I love that he plays nice with tankmates (a bluethroat trigger, cardinals, and anthias), but wish he would do his job and eat some algae! Also, I don't want him to have nutritional deficits.

Suggestions?
 
Well, I would chop the nori up and feed with the pellets. Then, when it is eating the tiny bits regularly, go with the clip with very small bits attached at the same time you regularly feed. Then, when/if it begins to feed on the smaller bits, work up to larger and larger then on to attaching to rocks. Always do this when it's feeding time. It will either figure it out or not. If not, just enjoy your beautiful tang!
 
Well, I would chop the nori up and feed with the pellets. Then, when it is eating the tiny bits regularly, go with the clip with very small bits attached at the same time you regularly feed. Then, when/if it begins to feed on the smaller bits, work up to larger and larger then on to attaching to rocks. Always do this when it's feeding time. It will either figure it out or not. If not, just enjoy your beautiful tang!
I just tried this. Thanks for the suggestion. It sorta worked. I saw the YT take a nibble at one point, but another 10x I saw pieces float in front of his face and he showed zero interest. I may have to do this a dozen times before it takes. I thought I was done raising toddlers!
 
My yellow tang and black tang won't touch Nori period. I tried Vitalis rings and they along with everyone else eats them, that is the angels and tangs. I just picked up some Hikari seaweed pellets, small size and going to try that as well.
 
Many Yellow Tangs have no interest in nori. You may have been told wrong about him eating it previously.
 
I just tried this. Thanks for the suggestion. It sorta worked. I saw the YT take a nibble at one point, but another 10x I saw pieces float in front of his face and he showed zero interest. I may have to do this a dozen times before it takes. I thought I was done raising toddlers!
Yup, keep at it. It'll take time if he is going to eat it at all. Another method is to feed fewer pellets/flakes while you are trying to get him to transition. Hunger is a strong motivator. As well, make certain that you are feeding Nori specifically made for fish. This is actually very important.
 
My yellow tang and black tang won't touch Nori period. I tried Vitalis rings and they along with everyone else eats them, that is the angels and tangs. I just picked up some Hikari seaweed pellets, small size and going to try that as well.
Grazer rings are a good suggestion. A bit hard to find, but worth the effort.
 
baste the nori with garlic extract. Other foods to try are:
LRS herbivore diet (contains algae)
spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari veggie diet

Add selcon vitamins to foods 2-3X per week
 
baste the nori with garlic extract. Other foods to try are:
LRS herbivore diet (contains algae)
spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
mysis shrimp
Hikari veggie diet

Add selcon vitamins to foods 2-3X per week
Thanks for the suggestions! He has been eating small plankton, live baby brine, and frozen mysis, so it's not a question of eating at all. Going back to the toddler analogy, he's like my daughter, who would happily eat pasta, rice, and nothing else.

I will try the Hikari and maybe some herbivore flakes, but so far nothing in my tank will touch flakes.

I have been feeding spirulina brine. Hard to know how much that helps offset a deficiency in algae for the YT but he's not too skinny.
 
Thanks for the suggestions! He has been eating small plankton, live baby brine, and frozen mysis, so it's not a question of eating at all. Going back to the toddler analogy, he's like my daughter, who would happily eat pasta, rice, and nothing else.

I will try the Hikari and maybe some herbivore flakes, but so far nothing in my tank will touch flakes.

I have been feeding spirulina brine. Hard to know how much that helps offset a deficiency in algae for the YT but he's not too skinny.
formula 2 flake and frozen also good
 
As well, make certain that you are feeding Nori specifically made for fish. This is actually very important.
Can you say more about this? I have been using sushi nori from the asian market, which is about 1/10th the cost of the brands with a fish on the packaging.
 
Can you say more about this? I have been using sushi nori from the asian market, which is about 1/10th the cost of the brands with a fish on the packaging.
i/10th the price but also smoked and basted with food product in some cases and many of the vitamins are missing after they do their process hence the low cost. Although it IS seaweed, it is intended as a wrap for recipes and steamed to rejuvenate the leafy matter.
 
i/10th the price but also smoked and basted with food product in some cases and many of the vitamins are missing after they do their process hence the low cost. Although it IS seaweed, it is intended as a wrap for recipes and steamed to rejuvenate the leafy matter.
Pretty much that which @vetteguy53081 said. Additionally, sometimes additives and preservatives are in there that can cause problems with your tank that may not show up on the ingredient list. Try a pack of the expensive stuff and I'll bet your tang and others will more likely eat it.
 
Maybe in the tank he came from, he was not fed this way.
So he reacts to what he knows.
 
Pretty much that which @vetteguy53081 said. Additionally, sometimes additives and preservatives are in there that can cause problems with your tank that may not show up on the ingredient list. Try a pack of the expensive stuff and I'll bet your tang and others will more likely eat it.
if youre betting me, you already won. Ive tried both and exclusively use the SFB veggie buffet seaweed and Julian Sprung Sea Veggie algae sheets. My fish are worth more than a $3-4.00 imitation savings
two grazer feeders are emptied out in 55 seconds
 
if youre betting me, you already won. Ive tried both and exclusively use the SFB veggie buffet seaweed and Julian Sprung Sea Veggie algae sheets. My fish are worth more than a $3-4.00 imitation savings
two grazer feeders are emptied out in 55 seconds
Don't even think it takes that long for my fish to eat JS's Sea Veggies purple.
 
if youre betting me, you already won. Ive tried both and exclusively use the SFB veggie buffet seaweed and Julian Sprung Sea Veggie algae sheets. My fish are worth more than a $3-4.00 imitation savings
two grazer feeders are emptied out in 55 seconds
@vetteguy53081 I am not familiar with "SFB veggie buffet seaweed". Got a link to share?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top