Tangs… What do you see in them?

So you're saying ich is laying low for 3 years now? 12 tangs no ich in 3 years... sure sounds like an ich free tank.
It can come in in anything, even water could possibly bring ich into the tank.
 
I adore the Achilles, it’s one of the only tangs I like outside of Ctenochaetus. But I also see… ich magnets all around
Whereas my wrasses don’t really get many parasites and my foxface is almost immune to parasites.
Ich magnets. Warning you got a problem before a problem lol
 
Personally I’m not a fan of many tangs, I really don’t see much in the non-Ctenochaetus species. But I can watch them sometimes, I just don’t find it relaxing how they pace around so much.
So…
1. what do you see in tangs and is there more than good CUC (which even then there’s other fish for that job)?
2. Do you have any alternatives to tangs that you prefer to watch?


P.S. the photo below is when I had a mirror against the wall of my tank for my wrasses and instead attracted my tang to it.
E3576476-74A1-4612-98A3-D752D22BC89E.jpeg
Got a Vlamingi off of ebay 20 or so years ago. The personality! It was like having a puppy. Would come to the side of the tank where I was on the computer, and hang there with me. When hubby came in he hid, and stayed hidden till he left. I adored this fish.
 
Personally I’m not a fan of many tangs, I really don’t see much in the non-Ctenochaetus species. But I can watch them sometimes, I just don’t find it relaxing how they pace around so much.
So…
1. what do you see in tangs and is there more than good CUC (which even then there’s other fish for that job)?
2. Do you have any alternatives to tangs that you prefer to watch?


P.S. the photo below is when I had a mirror against the wall of my tank for my wrasses and instead attracted my tang to it.
E3576476-74A1-4612-98A3-D752D22BC89E.jpeg
1. I'm not a tang type of course, but I see in my favorite tangs the color patterns and the 'design' of the fish, for example, I like blue tangs more when they are juveniles because of the shape of their body which is more small and 'compressed', that when they are adults they are more oval and the black design takes the same shape. In contrast, you will rarely see a fish as spectacular as a show size Achilles tang, at least IMO. I like the clown tang, sohal tang and desjardinii for their colors and their extraordinary design of lines and dots, but I also love gem and black tang for their simple colors, black is an elegant color.
2. Angels and butterflyfishes of course, they are the most beautiful fishes in the ocean.
 
Got a Vlamingi off of ebay 20 or so years ago. The personality! It was like having a puppy. Would come to the side of the tank where I was on the computer, and hang there with me. When hubby came in he hid, and stayed hidden till he left. I adored this fish.
Man… am I just not getting lucky? The only puppies I have in my tank are my Cirrhilabrus & Paracheilinus wrasses, my CBB and my foxface.

Id love a blonde Naso but my tank just isn’t large enough unfortunately. They do look stunning though, especially as adult males.
 
1. I'm not a tang type of course, but I see in my favorite tangs the color patterns and the 'design' of the fish, for example, I like blue tangs more when they are juveniles because of the shape of their body which is more small and 'compressed', that when they are adults they are more oval and the black design takes the same shape. In contrast, you will rarely see a fish as spectacular as a show size Achilles tang, at least IMO. I like the clown tang, sohal tang and desjardinii for their colors and their extraordinary design of lines and dots, but I also love gem and black tang for their simple colors, black is an elegant color.
2. Angels and butterflyfishes of course, they are the most beautiful fishes in the ocean.
I definitely agree with you on the clown and Sohal. These are another couple tangs I enjoy looking at but I still prefer Ctenochaetus due to the constant changing patterns and colours.
 
Me personally, Tangs are my favorite many shapes, sizes, colors and reef safe! That’s why I love them Love angel fish too but not in the reef!
 
Tangs aren't my favorite fish, but having watched my tomini grow from about an inch to about 4-5 inches and get nice and fat, a mature tang is beautiful to watch cruise its space once it knows all the nooks and crannies.
 
I like the hierarchy element with tangs. Mine are like a pack. The purple leads the group and the others respect her as tank boss. Their aggression is also interesting with how they interact with my other fish. They e made my harlequin tusk and angels way more active in the tank! They also like to follow my purple around!
 
Do you guys not find that they turn into a ticking time bomb of aggression and disease?
Not if they’re well fed! I have no issues with any of my 7 tangs they All pack together and follow me around the tank all day begging for food haha! My sailfin and gem do have a little aggression towards each other but they figure it out.. my sailfin also like to chase my fox face which is much bigger he’s gonna learn one day! lol. My hippo is the most skittish of them all and the biggest of my tang gang… super healthy and the brightest blue I’ve ever seen on a fish besides the devil damsels.
IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0495.jpeg
IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg
IMG_0502.jpeg
IMG_0503.jpeg
IMG_0504.jpeg
IMG_0514.jpeg
 
I tried my first tang after years of resisting. Seemed healthy when I bought it but then suddenly broke out in velvet after a couple days. I’m glad I managed to save most of my fish but still lost a lot. Never again. I’ll always go with a rabbit over a tang. All the pros, none of the cons.
 
I have 1 hippo. I like its color. Though it is the second largest fish in my aquarium, slightly smaller than the rabbit, it is very skittish.
I do not quarantine and in November this year as it turn 3 years he got a very bad case of ich, though I had not added any thing in the tank in a long time. As it would have been too stressing to catch and it kept on eating, I did nothing. He completely recover on its own. No other fish got sick.
However, one tang is enough for me, I would prefer having angel or butterfly fish.
I love my rabbit too.
 
Personally I’m not a fan of many tangs, I really don’t see much in the non-Ctenochaetus species. But I can watch them sometimes, I just don’t find it relaxing how they pace around so much.
So…
1. what do you see in tangs and is there more than good CUC (which even then there’s other fish for that job)?
2. Do you have any alternatives to tangs that you prefer to watch?


P.S. the photo below is when I had a mirror against the wall of my tank for my wrasses and instead attracted my tang to it.
E3576476-74A1-4612-98A3-D752D22BC89E.jpeg
I love tangs for the same reasons that we all love any pet we have. My naso's personality is awesome, he swims to the front of the tank when I get home, it's like he is there to great me! and the colors are just amazing, to me at least. The fact that they also perform double duty of cleaning algae is just a bonus for me. If tangs are not your thing, great, just find what is. We all have different tastes in what appeals to us.
 
Love

Color
Utility fish
Like the fish trap
Eat well

Hate

Have the ability to turn on lps fast and kill your favorite
They are the dumbest of the aquarium fish.
Prone to stress induced maladies more so than many other species.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top