Tank upgrade!! Not sure how to go about doing this

Sure. Anything that holds water works.
I’m planning this out writing down steps and everything. Going slow and making sure everything is right. I don’t wanna kill any livestock especially very expensive corals
 
I’m planning this out writing down steps and everything. Going slow and making sure everything is right. I don’t wanna kill any livestock especially very expensive corals
I think you'll be fine, effectively your doing a 50% water change, or more like 60% once you factor in washing the sand. That's not a big deal if you match the salinity, PH and alkalinity and temperature.

It's seems like a lot to think about but really if you consider buying livestock from your LFS, traveling home and acclimating them this isn't really much different, except in this case it'll be less stressful for them as it won't be completely new water.

You may find some corals take upto 2 weeks to fully open once moved but don't worry about that.
 
I think you'll be fine, effectively your doing a 50% water change, or more like 60% once you factor in washing the sand. That's not a big deal if you match the salinity, PH and alkalinity and temperature.

It's seems like a lot to think about but really if you consider buying livestock from your LFS, traveling home and acclimating them this isn't really much different, except in this case it'll be less stressful for them as it won't be completely new water.

You may find some corals take upto 2 weeks to fully open once moved but don't worry about that.
How many fish should I keep in my new 40?
Right now I only have a pair of orange ocellaris clownfish
 
Do not use old sand, not worth it. Sand have a lot of live in it, any disruption that kill the lives in the sand there will give you problem to no end. Best just get new sand.
 
Do not use old sand, not worth it. Sand have a lot of live in it, any disruption that kill the lives in the sand there will give you problem to no end. Best just get new sand.
But isn’t the new sand also live? Doesn’t it contain bacteria and organisms so how would it make a difference if new sand dies verse old sand?
 

study that, all answers are in place for easy transfers and swapping or rinsing both old, and new sand. There must be fifty or more tank moves on file, yours can’t go wrong using rinsing for all sands during transfer
 
Sand bed get the tank very stable. Much more so than LR.
The sand have a huge amount of fauna in it. If they died due to what ever reason, the sand bed will continue to release nutrients forever from dead and decay animals in it. That is why you don’t want to move a sand bed. Anything that disrupts the O2 supply to the sand bed may cause it to crash. If a sand bed ever crashed the only solution is to remove it.
 
But isn’t the new sand also live? Doesn’t it contain bacteria and organisms so how would it make a difference if new sand dies verse old sand?
If adding new and to an already established tank (which yours will be) I'd go with dead dry sand. With regards to the old sand Brandon posted a nice link for your here.

Although there are risks with directly relocating established sand beds as mentioned here, syphoning a top layer off and rinsing it well then using as a seeder in the new tank I really can't imagine any issues. Back in the day UK shops if you knew them well would give you Bag of sand from one of their established tanks to help cycling with your new tank. Not much difference using your own really.

If your unsure then you could simply just use all new dry sand. (This will need rinsing a number of times before use) if so rinse with cold tap water 3 or 4 times and then leave it all in soak overnight in RODI water. That way you won't need to use so much RODI.

With regards to fish stocking, it all comes down to the bio ability of the tank. I'd happily keep 4 to 5 fish in a 40g. But that needs to be built up over time. And of course the fish need to be chosen carefully. I wouldn't personally put a tang or an angel in there. Gobys, wrasses, anthias, chromis, the choice is endless really. these are all pretty fish that the clowns should leave alone. Clows can take care of themselves.

Get yourself a seachem ammonia alert badge to give you peace of mind. Add 1 fish maybe after 3 weeks of upgrading and takes it from there. The badge will tell you if the tank isn't keeping up with the bio load.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top