Late to the thread, but most people who struggle with deep/deeper sand beds, usually were bad on their maintenance and then the sand could not cover up the issue for them. Sand, as all aragonite, binds phosphates. It does not do anything in a nefarious way, but this is just science/chemistry 101. Eventually, if the hobbyist is lax on their maintenance, knowledge or something, the sand will bind a lot of phosphate and the water level will fill up. These hobbyists will blame the sand for leeching or something bad when indeed they were the bad ones that did not do their maintenance.
The people who had success with sand likely did their maintenance and the ones without did not.
I will always use sand and Dr. Ron was very on the money with most things, but I feel that he missed on these few...
1). 3" is fine enough to get deep level of anoxic regions for nitrate to turn into nitrogen gas. No need for 6 inches.
2). It needs cleaned every 3-4 years. The stuff in there is benign long stripped of anything of value, but the benign stuff does "gum up the works" and keep microfauna from being able to penetrate and live there. Starting in about year four, I vacuum all the way down small parts of the sandbed (like 20%), then wait a few months before doing more.
3). Not a Dr. Ron miss, I run a fuge to keep P down so that my sand does not "fill up" with it. I like that is a buffer that never lets me hit zero, even though the tank keeps is very low.
My sandbed has always keep my nitrate about .1 to .2, which is plenty. I love that I don't have to think about or mess with it. I use some cucumbers (Florida Keys Yellow Variety), some snails (ceriths) and a few conchs (Keys Variety) that like to rummage around in it. The cucumbers will spilt/divide and come to a nice equilibrium with what is available for them to eat. The inverts that live in the sand are sensitive to high phosphate, so this makes it even worse when the sand cannot hide the hobbyists lack of maintenance anymore since they die too.
I have never had any hydrogen sulfide.
As for pods, you should be able to grow these with just about any kind of situation.